You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-13 23:09:51

snack

Slow playback with nv driver

Hello everyone, this is my first post . I am a total Arch newbie, so please be patient...
I have some problems with video playback. My vga is an old nvidia geforce 2 GTS, and I use open nv driver since I read that proprietary nvidia-71 has some problems with xorg. Video playback is incredibly choppy, about 1 FPS. Under Windows XP it worked smoothly, so it is not a processing power issue. I suspect that nv drivers does not support accelerated video playback on my video card, but I found nothing about such an issue. Or maybe I must set something in order to activate it. Can anyone help me, please? Thank you all in advance!

#2 2009-01-17 12:51:55

snack

Re: Slow playback with nv driver

Really no one knows? I searched again the web but again found no info about accelerated video playback with nv.

Edit: found some info, the nv driver doesn't support accelarated video playback (http://wiki.nerdylorrin.net/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=NVidia). Is there a way to downgrade Xorg to a version which is compatible with the proprietary driver? I like Arch very much, I don't want to go back to WinXp only for this problem, but if I can't fix it I'll have to... sad

Last edited by snack (2009-01-17 13:02:49)

#3 2009-01-18 10:09:59

bandito

Hi snack!

You might try and change video out (vo) driver, mplayer is using. Open ~/.mplayer/config with text editor of your choice and set vo_driver to "xv" or "x11" (vo=x11, vo=xv). If you are using mplayer GUI, go to preferences, video tab and change it there to x11 or xv.

#4 2009-01-18 10:21:51

Rasi
Website

the nvidia driver doesnt support accelerated video playback either... only the new 180.xx driver can do that.. and even that can only do it with a patched mplayer yet.

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

Board footer