You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-14 00:49:08

proxima_centauri
Website

Gnome-panel and/or more broken? <solved>

Hi there,

Just to the lead up, I was mounting my school's server's smb drives. I was also experimenting all day getting SSH and SAMBA working to communicate with my old desktop I set up in my room to act as a server. So I was unmounting these network drives (school and server), when all the gnome-panel stuff frozen. AWN was fully functional, as were all the open windows and the desktop. But nothing on the panel worked, menu, windowlist, cpufreq, clock, etc, it was all frozen. I ctrl+alt+backapaced and logged in, great, now theres no panel at all, reboot with the same problem. The panel appeared after around 7 minutes of downtime. During this downtime of the panel, I also could not use alt+F2 run, which did pop up when the panel popped up. Also after the panel popped up, gedit takes way longer than normal to start up.

Any ideas as to what is going on here?

EDIT: Rebooted several times with the same problem of insanely slow start up of the panel, reinstalled all gnome+gnome-extra packages and everything seems to be back to normal for now.

Last edited by proxima_centauri (2009-01-14 01:08:29)

Thinkpad T61p - 15.4' WSXGA TFT - 2.5Ghz Intel Core2 Duo T9300 - 2X2GB Kingston RAM - 160GB 7200RPM - NVIDIA Quadro FX 570m - Intel 4965AGN

Board footer