You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-14 17:04:05

X/ax
Website

[Xorg] Wacom help

I got myself a wacom tablet thingy, working (and behaving) like a touchpad.
Now I would like to have the stylus buttons working, and have more control over the configuration.

I already downloaded the newest sources from the linuxwacom site, and tried compiling / installing / creating a fdi, without success though.

I tried to run configure using like that:

./configure --enable-wacom=yes --enable-evdev=yes --prefix=/usr/local

Which resulted in evdev not being opted in seemingly:

----------------------------------------
  BUILD ENVIRONMENT:
       architecture - i686-pc-linux-gnu
       linux kernel - yes 2.6.27
  module versioning - no 
      kernel source - yes /lib/modules/2.6.27-ARCH/build
     XFree86 source - no 
           Xorg SDK - yes /usr/include/xorg
          XSERVER64 - no
           dlloader - yes
               XLib - yes /usr/lib
         xf86config - no
                TCL - yes /usr/include
                 TK - yes /usr/include
            ncurses - yes

BUILD OPTIONS:
            wacom.o - yes
            wacdump - yes 
             xidump - yes 
        libwacomcfg - yes
         libwacomxi - yes
          xsetwacom - yes
              hid.o - no 
         usbmouse.o - no
            evdev.o - no
         mousedev.o - no
            input.o - no
       wacom_drv.so - yes /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input 
        wacom_drv.o - no
  wacom*_drv quirks - Uninit-called IsXExtensionPointer key-events dixScreenOrigins
----------------------------------------

My current attempt at an fdi file is the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->

<deviceinfo version="0.2">

<device>
    <match key="info.capabilities" contains="input">
      <match key="info.product" contains="USB HID">
    <merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string">wacom</merge>
    <merge key="input.x11_options.Type" type="string">stylus</merge>
           <merge key="input.x11_options.Mode" type="string">Relative</merge>
      </match>
      <match key="info.product" contains="WALTOP">
      </match>
    </match>
    <!-- N-Trig Duosense Electromagnetic Digitizer -->
    <match key="info.product" contains="USB HID">
      <match key="info.parent" contains="56a">
      </match>
    </match>
  </device>

</deviceinfo>

But I figured I'd still need to read up on the fdi way of doing things (a lot of fdi stuff out there is like a foreign language to me... Even the culture seems different)

Any help will be appreciated, while I continue my holy search for a working wacom device smile

My coding blog (or an attempt at it)
Archer start page (or an attempt at it)

#2 2009-01-14 18:02:22

Bob_Sheep

Re: [Xorg] Wacom help

Have you followed the guide in the Wiki? http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wacom
linuxwacom is available in AUR

#3 2009-01-14 18:13:47

X/ax
Website

// I'm going to buy a new glasses...
// I'm trying the "dynamic" udev way soon.

Now, that doesn't seem to be too dynamic.
Still, the stylus buttons don't work, (and everything is the same for now)
Changing xorg.conf doesn't really reflect the dynamica here I think...

So, I stand with my first thought, I need some more knowledge about fdi...

Last edited by X/ax (2009-01-14 19:27:06)

#4 2009-01-14 22:27:06

whompus

From what I read on the linuxwacom mailing lists (a few weeks ago now) the .fdi route is not the best way to go at the moment as hotplugging can only detect one device eg. cursor but not the pen or eraser, if the tablet is permanently connected then you'll need to configure it in xorg.conf.

#5 2009-01-14 23:57:39

X/ax
Website

After testing, countless reboots, etc... I have it working.
Albeit it's doing something I didn't really expect from the first go ^^ (I seem to have to float the stylus, might be normal behavior, but I'm lazy and like to rest my hand instead of stress it big_smile)
I guess I'll just have te get used to it.

There's also some _kind of_ hotplugging available (if I switch to tty and back)

Thanks for the patience anyway ^^

#6 2009-01-15 00:07:18

Bob_Sheep

the floating thing is normal as tablets are designed to be used in absolute mode, touching the tablet with the stylus corresponds to a mouse click, or brush stroke etc in its proper usage in a program like the GIMP or photoshop.

EDIT: In case you don't know, its also pressure sensitive in certain applications. GIMP and Inkscape to name two.

Last edited by Bob_Sheep (2009-01-15 00:33:44)

#7 2009-01-15 00:09:27

X/ax
Website

In that way, it does make a lot of more sense... Does make me look like a noob, doesn't it? ^^

#8 2009-01-15 22:42:37

Ulf

How did you get it working? I recompiled the wacom package, followed some forum post here to disable hotplugging all together, but no matter what i did, the moment i lift my stylos from the tablet it stops working. Maybe it is an issue with hal that hal thinks there is a new device while in fact it is still the same stylus...And floating the stylus doesn't seem like normal behaviour to me, i.e. i always had been able to touch the tablet. Hoovering sounds like a real pain in the ass and a certain way to get RSI...

#9 2009-01-16 00:02:01

Bob_Sheep

Floating is perfectly normal behaviour, remember that the tablet should be set to absolute mode and that the cursor will automatically move to the part of the screen over which you place the stylus on the tablet.  The apparently counter intuitive nature of hovering comes from people who think that tablets are just like laptop touchpads, rather than the drawing tool that they are.  You wouldn't move a paint brush to a new part of your canvas without lifting it off would you?

#10 2009-01-16 00:41:09

X/ax
Website

Ulf wrote:

How did you get it working? I recompiled the wacom package, followed some forum post here to disable hotplugging all together, but no matter what i did, the moment i lift my stylos from the tablet it stops working. Maybe it is an issue with hal that hal thinks there is a new device while in fact it is still the same stylus...And floating the stylus doesn't seem like normal behaviour to me, i.e. i always had been able to touch the tablet. Hoovering sounds like a real pain in the ass and a certain way to get RSI...

Quite simple, I tried everything out there (installed linuxwacom, followed the wiki, did 1000 things, and I guess some of those, or all combined, made it work. But I can't say which one did)
I have read the behavior of "I lift it and it stops working" a couple of times, perhaps you can try going to tty (ctrl + alt + f1) and back to X11 (ctrl + f7), and it should work again (or I have read).

The thing I learned is that the whole drawing thing in linux is quite poorly supported. Especially from the vendors, linux and the community does try, but the vendors doom the entire movement seemingly. Vendors seem to find it proper sense to create drivers for windows, and not open their documentation for further development (which is the real drawback).
Developers are scarse, and they manage to make it even harder on us...
I guess the world has a long way to go

</ot

#11 2009-01-16 19:57:33

Ulf

@Bob_Sheep: i use the tablet mainly as a very sophistaced mouse for 3d stuff (also in relative mode)....when it works that is smile But yes you are right about the painting!

@X/ax: I'll try the switching to console and back again. Annoying but better than nothing. And yes, it's a pity, or rather a shame, that wacom doesn't release any linux drivers. They do support Mac and windows, how hard can a linnux driver be? Ping is doing a nice job though but i think he is the sole guy from the whole wacom company doing linux stuff...

#12 2009-01-17 17:04:25

Ulf

It's working now but only in absolute mode. did nothign really fancy except for adding the InputFashion options to xorg.conf. With relative mode, the soon you lift your pen, it's gone. You need to switch to a console and then back to get it working again.

#13 2009-01-17 17:24:25

X/ax
Website

Ulf wrote:

@Bob_Sheep: i use the tablet mainly as a very sophistaced mouse for 3d stuff (also in relative mode)....when it works that is smile But yes you are right about the painting!

@X/ax: I'll try the switching to console and back again. Annoying but better than nothing. And yes, it's a pity, or rather a shame, that wacom doesn't release any linux drivers. They do support Mac and windows, how hard can a linnux driver be? Ping is doing a nice job though but i think he is the sole guy from the whole wacom company doing linux stuff...

One positive thing is that they're at least releasing documentation, albeit quite not the amount of effort they put in windows drivers though...
There should be a proper way to universally create drivers, but that's too much good thinking at the moment, such a thing might be lots of years before that is so...

#14 2009-01-18 01:08:07

Ulf

Well nvidia does a pretty good job, so does HP for their printers and ATI is doing much more than they used too. So it does fit in the "business models" of these companies, so why not wacom? They are about the only serious tablet makers on the market for consumers i believe...so nothing to fear

Board footer