You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-14 21:06:32

honorguard

problem with paste in dolphin and konqueror

Hello,
I have kdemod, I reinstalled my computer before 5 days (return to 32bits) and now I have a trouble in file manager dolphin and konqueror. I want to use copy and paste, but everytime I want to use paste, its grey and I can't press it. I don't know if it isn't an clipboard issue, but for text copy and paste works fine.
Really thanks for help.

IBM/Lenovo R61i
Intel core 2 duo 1024MB RAM 120GB HDD
Archlinux 64bit KDEmod 4
without Windows

#2 2009-01-14 21:10:16

Pierre
Developer
Website

Re: problem with paste in dolphin and konqueror

That's a regression in the RC of 4.1.4. Update to the final one or downgrade to 4.1.3. (or apply this patch: http://websvn.kde.org/?view=rev&revision=910155)

#3 2009-01-18 09:15:49

honorguard

Really thanks,
but I haven't got old packages in cache, because I have system 3 days. I am beginer in Linux, please can you simply tell me how to apply patch?

IBM/Lenovo R61i
Archlinux 64bit KDEmod 4
without Windows

#4 2009-01-18 09:40:19

Pierre
Developer
Website

So, why do you use external repositories then?

#5 2009-01-18 10:50:21

honorguard

Sry, but I don't understand you. I installed kdemod:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Kdemod
I must use external repositories to have kdemod4. Everything was ok, but before a week I get back to 32bit system (reinstall) and now I have this problem.

IBM/Lenovo R61i
Archlinux 64bit KDEmod 4
without Windows

#6 2009-01-18 12:09:20

funkyou
Website

We wont deliver another update for our KDEmod 4.1.x packages.

To solve this issue you can update to our 4.2 RC packages, which are running quite stable and are updated regulary from the stable 4.2 branch.

More info here.

Pierre wrote:

So, why do you use external repositories then?

Really constructive, helps a lot...

want a modular and tweaked KDE for arch? try kdemod

#7 2009-01-18 12:57:15

Pierre
Developer
Website

@funkyou: I hope yout don't get me wrong. But imho if one is new to linux its not the best idea to use external repos (that applies to other distros, too). When he's more familar with Arch this no problem of course. But that's just my own opinion.

#8 2009-01-18 13:23:43

funkyou
Website

Pierre wrote:

@funkyou: I hope yout don't get me wrong. But imho if one is new to linux its not the best idea to use external repos (that applies to other distros, too). When he's more familar with Arch this no problem of course. But that's just my own opinion.

Simple: Such a reply is in no way constructive and it helps no one. Even if its a new user, where is the problem in pointing him to a bugtracker and telling him to file a bug, or at last tell him where he can find the forums? In terms of typing, it should be the same amount of work wink

With this sort of answer, you seem not to perceive or even appreciate the amount of work others put into their projects (from which arch also benefits) and that they are able and willing to fix bugs, or at least provide a workaround. And newbie users will be scared off, because they may think that Arch has the same repo-hell like Ubuntu for example, which clearly isn't the case.

I see many posts here where people have a problem with arch and someone (mostly one of the devs) tells them to file a bug... Now do that for others (= us, for example) too and you will make this community a better place. Hell, i even reported bugs in Arch KDE packages even if i dont use them, or at least give some pointers like here for example... Now ask yourself why i do that and you'll find the answer why you should do the same, and that everything else is just destructive.

Thanks.

#9 2009-01-18 14:03:32

Pierre
Developer
Website

I am sorry, I was in a bad mood (not related to anything mentioned here) and maybe I shouldn't have posted this. Anyway: My first response was quite helpfull. The point is: If he would have viseted the fine page of kdemod he would have found a solution to his problem in the forums or in your bugtracker.

And yes, it was not the first time I have helped people about this particular or other problems. So let's forget about this.

#10 2009-01-18 17:24:48

honorguard

Thanks,
I will upgrade from Chackra. I don't like chakra very much. I downloaded CD (I know, thats an alpha) and tried to install. Installer is fine (really better then original arch installer), but in place where I must select / and /home, I selected sda1 as / and sda3 as /home, clicked ok and get message "doesn't selected /'. I returned and selected /home first and second /home. In install informations I found /home wasn't selected (I can mount it manualy). After installation I recived Error 2 from Grub. I hoped somebody tested installer before puting it to web. I looked to / to change Grub settings and what I found? on my / was same data like /home! After that I haven't any other Arch CD. I must stated second computer and download other archlinux CD... I don't know if this bug is reported.

IBM/Lenovo R61i
Archlinux 64bit KDEmod 4
without Windows

#11 2009-01-18 18:28:07

honorguard

Upgrade to testing version was really bad idea. My problem was solved, new KDE looks like programmers are really hardworking, but I had a lot of problems. Lot of my lot usable plasmoids (i compiled it) doesn't work. After downgrade I must reconfigure all plasma and desktop. Shit. It doesn't matter.
Thx

IBM/Lenovo R61i
Archlinux 64bit KDEmod 4
without Windows

#12 2009-01-19 19:02:16

sandsmark
Website

honorguard wrote:

Upgrade to testing version was really bad idea. My problem was solved, new KDE looks like programmers are really hardworking, but I had a lot of problems. Lot of my lot usable plasmoids (i compiled it) doesn't work. After downgrade I must reconfigure all plasma and desktop. Shit. It doesn't matter.
Thx

Plasma wasn't stable until 4.2, which means that you wasn't supposed to be able to keep your plasmoids without porting (or recompiling). It shouldn't be a problem from 4.2 and onwards.

honorguard wrote:

I will upgrade from Chackra. I don't like chakra very much. I downloaded CD (I know, thats an alpha) and tried to install. Installer is fine (really better then original arch installer), but in place where I must select / and /home, I selected sda1 as / and sda3 as /home, clicked ok and get message "doesn't selected /'. I returned and selected /home first and second /home. In install informations I found /home wasn't selected (I can mount it manualy). After installation I recived Error 2 from Grub. I hoped somebody tested installer before puting it to web. I looked to / to change Grub settings and what I found? on my / was same data like /home! After that I haven't any other Arch CD. I must stated second computer and download other archlinux CD... I don't know if this bug is reported.

Noone said Chakra was usable, much less release-ready (it's an alpha, after all, which means that most features are in place, but not much more).

If you find any bugs, please report them on our bug tracker (http://chakra-project.org/bugs/).

It has been tested on some different hardware, but the alpha was released partly so people could help testing it on more varied systems and setups.

#13 2009-01-19 19:13:22

funkyou
Website

Pierre wrote:

I am sorry, I was in a bad mood (not related to anything mentioned here) and maybe I shouldn't have posted this. Anyway: My first response was quite helpfull. The point is: If he would have viseted the fine page of kdemod he would have found a solution to his problem in the forums or in your bugtracker.

And yes, it was not the first time I have helped people about this particular or other problems. So let's forget about this.

Pierre,

i didnt want to sound too rude, but how do you help someone new to linux with a link to a SVN repo? This is not really "quite helpful", but maybe you overvalued the competence of the initial poster...  However, what i want to say: its no problem to post a link, just to bring him on the right track and to solve a problem. That would make things a bit easier, including fewer writing for you. You could even create a predefined snippet for such replies smile

Well, as you said, lets forget about this smile

Board footer