You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-16 05:08:03

MTsoul
Website

Which Desktop Should I Buy?

I want to purchase a desktop computer right now, and plan to use Arch on it full time. I don't game, but I do want a very fast computer. I hear the Intel Core i7 is really fast.

Does anybody have a suggestion of which desktop or which brand I should buy? Factors would include (Arch) Linux support, price, and whether or not it has a default Windows installation (which would be a waste of money for me since I'll just wipe it).

I really like Dell. I have a 3 year old laptop and it works really nice, but most of Dell's desktops have Windows and the ones that have Ubuntu are pretty crappy.

Oh yeah, I want to try out Xen too. There are occasional Windows programs I'd want to use, and maybe other OSes. Not sure if there are specific hardware needs for that.

Actually, is it even a good time to buy a desktop? Is some new hardware going to come out? I assume the i7 is kind of expensive right now... maybe the economy would even lower prices in the future?

Thanks.

Last edited by MTsoul (2009-01-16 05:12:43)

#2 2009-01-16 05:18:45

weasel8

Re: Which Desktop Should I Buy?

Really, I don't think getting an i7 is worth it unless you're gaming (and even then the graphics card matters more), or rendering graphics or something. It'll cost way more when the difference between the i7 and, say, the Core 2 Duo is negligible as far as typical use goes.

Dell is good; they've got awesome customizability options. But if Windows inclusion is really that important to you (I mean, you'd just wipe Ubuntu, too, wouldn't you? -- and keep in mind that OEMs have massive discounts/deals with Microsoft, and "Windows tax" is NOT as steep as you think)...I don't know that Dell is the best choice.

Regardless, System76 is also definitely worth checking out. Great prices and lots of options, with guaranteed Linux support since they come with Ubuntu. I do not personally own a machine from them, but I certainly encourage you to have a look.

Last edited by weasel8 (2009-01-16 05:22:05)

#3 2009-01-16 05:33:07

pointone
Wiki Admin

Build your own? 'Tis the only way to ensure you get what you want. Highly recommended if you plan on upgrading in the future, as you can never be sure where the manufacturer cut corners to save money.

M*cr*s*ft: Who needs quality when you have marketing?

#4 2009-01-16 06:16:16

cdwillis

Personally I think I'd just build one from parts from newegg.com

#5 2009-01-16 06:59:52

MTsoul
Website

I have a Q6600, decent desktop. I'm just out of the city for a few months and thought I might as well get one. But if the i7 isn't much of an upgrade, then I won't need to bother.

Would something like this suffice? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6883118008 How well would Arch run on that?

#6 2009-01-16 08:02:22

kludge

arch runs wonderfully on anything you set it up to run well on.

hell, until you tell it otherwise, arch ain't nothing but a command line, and that ran wonderfully on my family's old 286!

buy the pc that has the features and price-point you want.  google all the components for linux compatibility (down to the chipset!) to avoid any nasty surprises.

i second the build-your-own recommendation, but i'd suggest pricewatch.com for finding damned good deals on components.

Last edited by kludge (2009-01-16 08:07:54)

[23:00:16]    dr_kludge | i want to invent an olfactory human-computer interface, integrate it into the web standards, then produce my own forked browser.
[23:00:32]    dr_kludge | can you guess what i'd call it?
[23:01:16]    dr_kludge | nosilla.
[23:01:32]    dr_kludge | i really should be going to bed.  i'm giggling madly about that.

#7 2009-01-16 08:31:45

MTsoul
Website

Then the Everex gPC3 should be pretty good. I can't find any thing really related to it online. But since it supports Ubuntu, perhaps it will more or less support Arch Linux.

Actually the main reason I want a new desktop is so I can install Arch Linux and fool around without worrying about botching up my current Windows machine, which is full of putty, cygwin/bash, vim, and firefox/vimperator already. I just want to give Awesome WM a try full-time, not in VMware.

Board footer