You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-17 12:27:45

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

[SOLVED] ext3 partition read as ext2: failure

This morning I performed a system upgrade. Among other things, I upgraded to the new kernel version (if that's a relevant info). Upon reboot I was faced with this error:

:: Checking Filesystems
/dev/sda3
The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2 filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

But my filesystem type is ext3.

Anyway I popped in a live cd and tried with the suggested command, and all I got was:

e2fsck: Bad magic number in superb-block while trying to open /dev/sda3

Now, I should be working on that machine today, and it's quite uncomfy working from an EEE pc like I'm doing now tongue

Is there anything I can do about that, apart from reinstalling the whole thing?

Thanks for your time.

Have you Syued today?
Free music for free people! | Earthlings

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#2 2009-01-17 14:03:43

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: [SOLVED] ext3 partition read as ext2: failure

With the help of a friend I managed to get it working again. And I think reverting to the original rc.sysinit helped too, since I was using a tweaked version.

Have you Syued today?
Free music for free people! | Earthlings

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

Board footer