You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-18 00:54:19

kano
Website

Annoying sound crackling after kernel update.

Every since I upgraded to 2.6.28 today, on every track change in multiple audio players, there's an annoying crackle and popping noise. It's driving me nuts! I've tried with goggles music manager, quod libet, and it also does it before and after pidgin plays a sound.

Did they do something weird with the hda_intel driver in this kernel? I'm tempted to roll back to the last 2.6.27 kernel just because of how annoying it is. sad

edit: With World of Warcraft running in wine keeping the sound constantly running, it seems to not do it. It looks like it occurs when it goes between sound playing/not playing?

Last edited by kano (2009-01-18 01:03:12)

\\ archlinux on a XPS M1530 //

#2 2009-01-18 01:01:55

GogglesGuy
Website

Re: Annoying sound crackling after kernel update.

kano wrote:

Every since I upgraded to 2.6.28 today, on every track change in multiple audio players, there's an annoying crackle and popping noise. It's driving me nuts! I've tried with goggles music manager, quod libet, and it also does it before and after pidgin plays a sound.

Did they do something weird with the hda_intel driver in this kernel? I'm tempted to roll back to the last 2.6.27 kernel just because of how annoying it is. sad

I've noticed it as well. May be   turning down the volume levels less than 100% might help...

#3 2009-01-18 01:04:35

kano
Website

GogglesGuy wrote:
kano wrote:

I've noticed it as well. May be   turning down the volume levels less than 100% might help...

Sound is nowhere near 100, or I'd be deaf, lol. Master control is at 51, PCM is at 90. I get horrid distortion for all sound when PCM is at 100.

\\ archlinux on a XPS M1530 //

#4 2009-01-18 07:53:45

RagingDragon

I'm experiencing something similar - since upgrading kernel I get sporadic skipping when playing know good music files (mix of mp3, ogg and flac formats). Seems to happen mostly when scrolling browser or opening new application, so it could be related to CPU or disk utilization or prioritization (with flashplayer perhaps accounting for the anomalous events which don't occur during user activity).

Board footer