You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-18 20:01:11

ahronzombi
Website

I think my pacman database is dead. what is the best way to rebuild i

Hey im pretty sure i messed up my pacman database when trying to create a loopback image of it, and all my backups seem to have this same problem. it seems to think i have no packages installed and when i try to install anything it installs all deps and then wont finish due to files alreay existing. I know this was a pretty nube thing to do but could i get some advise on a resolution path? thanks guys

Keep coming back to Arch because its hands down the most amazing distro God has given us.

#2 2009-01-18 20:07:40

fwojciec

Re: I think my pacman database is dead. what is the best way to rebuild i

My advice: backup you config files and reinstall.  There are some possible solutions, one I remember reading about involved parsing pacman.log file for installed packages and reinstalling everything based on that, but I think you'll probably save time and get a better final result if you just reinstall.

#3 2009-01-18 20:09:44

ahronzombi
Website

my settings are on a seprate partition. im just using pacman -Sf "package name" to reinstall everything i have. that should work i think

Keep coming back to Arch because its hands down the most amazing distro God has given us.

#4 2009-01-18 20:26:06

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

try pacman -Sy see if that helps

Mr Green

#5 2009-01-18 20:55:58

josomebody

O.T.: How's it going ahron, this is jo from eugenerecords. Never noticed you around here before.

: () { : | :& } ;:

#6 2009-01-18 21:34:27

kludge

ahronzombi wrote:

Hey im pretty sure i messed up my pacman database when trying to create a loopback image of it, and all my backups seem to have this same problem. it seems to think i have no packages installed and when i try to install anything it installs all deps and then wont finish due to files alreay existing. I know this was a pretty nube thing to do but could i get some advise on a resolution path? thanks guys

what's in /var/lib/pacman/local?  that's your database of installed packages.

also, could you post the exact error messages you're getting?  that would help.

[23:00:16]    dr_kludge | i want to invent an olfactory human-computer interface, integrate it into the web standards, then produce my own forked browser.
[23:00:32]    dr_kludge | can you guess what i'd call it?
[23:01:16]    dr_kludge | nosilla.
[23:01:32]    dr_kludge | i really should be going to bed.  i'm giggling madly about that.

#7 2009-01-18 23:18:01

ahronzombi
Website

josomebody wrote:

O.T.: How's it going ahron, this is jo from eugenerecords. Never noticed you around here before.

hey man. do you use or develop arch? It is a great distro, i just came back to it recently but have used it regularly in the past. I live in Buffalo Ny now and have a daughter. lifes pretty good

#8 2009-01-18 23:28:52

josomebody

ahronzombi wrote:
josomebody wrote:

hey man. do you use or develop arch? It is a great distro, i just came back to it recently but have used it regularly in the past. I live in Buffalo Ny now and have a daughter. lifes pretty good

I wouldn't say I develop arch, but I do use arch for development. I've been hooked since I actually got a machine worth installing it on last summer. It was much less alien to me than Debian/Ubuntu after my FreeBSD background from school.

: () { : | :& } ;:

#9 2009-01-18 23:47:44

ahronzombi
Website

josomebody wrote:
ahronzombi wrote:
josomebody wrote:

I wouldn't say I develop arch, but I do use arch for development. I've been hooked since I actually got a machine worth installing it on last summer. It was much less alien to me than Debian/Ubuntu after my FreeBSD background from school.

i have a debian background but prefer something simple

Board footer