You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-19 12:44:42

syms

[Solved] cannot shut down computer via gnome

im setting up my gnome,
i cant shut down or restart my computer, when i click on shutdown or restart nothink happens. but i can log out. im using gdm but why its not working?

Last edited by syms (2009-01-26 19:59:57)

#2 2009-01-19 15:35:49

xaiviax

Re: [Solved] cannot shut down computer via gnome

Search these forums and you'll find a lot of posts about this.  For me, when I was using gnome, an upgrade to hal in testing fixed the issue for me.

#3 2009-01-19 21:01:55

syms

i didnt find solution. heres what i found, when i click reboot, nothink happens. then i click on log out, and system reboots. same with shutdown, i click on shutdown, nothink happens, then i click on log out, system shuts down. maybe this will help for you to find solution.
thanks for help

#4 2009-01-19 21:10:12

syms

also when i enter poweroff in terminal it says only superuser can do this, but when i enter sudo poweroff then everythink shut downs. but my user is added to power group. maybe this will give one more hint

#5 2009-01-20 13:37:38

zenlord
Website

You did see all of this, did you?

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/All … o_shutdown

Zl.

#6 2009-01-20 17:15:12

syms

yes, i followed this guide but it didnt help.

#7 2009-01-20 17:32:54

xaiviax

Besides hal from testing, this also helps some people :   

http://github.com/stxza/arch-linux-conf … cyKit.conf

#8 2009-01-20 19:20:15

syms

xaiviax wrote:

Besides hal from testing, this also helps some people :   

http://github.com/stxza/arch-linux-conf … cyKit.conf

This didnt fix. Anyway im tired of gnome problems, so i switched back to good old and boring kdemod3. Also, im going to switch to kde4 when kdemod 4.2 will be released big_smile . Yup, i love kde, but because i got bored of kde 3.5 (there isnt many themes etc.) i tried gnome, but with no success.
EDIT: after all i can confirm what many people complained: that arch linux has bad support to gnome. Gnome is very good gui, but arch linux dont works perfect with it as ubuntu or fedora.

Last edited by syms (2009-01-20 19:22:59)

#9 2009-01-20 20:52:33

Aphanic

I don't think it has a bad Gnome support, I've had Gnome running in a desktop PC for over 6 months now and I've never had any problem. The only difference is that in Arch (also in other distros e.g. Gentoo) you have to configure it more than in other (such as Fedora, Ubuntu, ...).

Regarding your problem, have you set up correctly the dbus system? Make sure the daemon is running (having 'hal' in the DAEMONS array in rc.conf should already start dbus, but you can also put 'dbus' in the same array before HAL to ensure it).

Also verify that there is an user and group called "dbus" as it is needed too, if you have none, you must add it yourself:

# groupadd -g 81 dbus
# useradd -c 'System message bus' -u 81 -g dbus -d '/' -s /bin/false dbus

EDIT: Take a look at the HAL entry in the wiki if needed: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HAL

Also, add your user to the dbus group:

# gpasswd -a user dbus

Last edited by Aphanic (2009-01-20 21:03:36)

#10 2009-01-21 19:21:13

Xiong Chiamiov
Website

syms wrote:

Gnome is very good gui, but arch linux dont works perfect with it as ubuntu or fedora.

Arch avoids the magic that's so prolific in those distros, as well as being very DE-/WM-agnostic.

#11 2009-01-21 23:50:48

Kilz

I am noticing how much magic is in Ubuntu. After 3 years of  Ubuntu. I installed Arch on a whim and thought for a change to install xfce. That was a bad choice because I was unfamiliar with the distro and the desktop as the op was. Its better to have some familiarity.
I'm back with Gnome, I cant see any problems with it. One nice thing is it isn't bloated. I was able to really choose what I wanted in a system. In Ubuntu its impossible to remove some applications like evolution without uninstalling the rest of the desktop.

I trust Microsoft about as far as I can comfortably spit a dead rat.
Cinnamon is a wonderful desktop
"Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#12 2009-01-22 01:00:51

alex_anthony

Kilz wrote:

In Ubuntu its impossible to remove some applications like evolution without uninstalling the rest of the desktop.

You do know that removing the ubuntu-desktop metapackage in ubuntu doesn't uninstall everything by the way? Only time that affects it is Arch.

I like seeing GNOME as the developers made it to be. That's why I like the vanilla-ness of Arch's gnome.
It's strange to see how different Ubuntu makes it.

I also can't shutdown from the gnome menus, but for some reason I can from gnome-do

Last edited by alex_anthony (2009-01-22 01:01:37)

#13 2009-01-22 01:45:39

Aphanic

alex_anthony wrote:

I also can't shutdown from the gnome menus, but for some reason I can from gnome-do

That's strange... Gnome does an extensive use of dbus and HAL... Ensure you have it well installed and configured (if necessary reinstall it uninstallint it first (-Rd)) and then we'll try to fin the reason why you can't shutdown.the usual way.

#14 2009-01-22 04:24:23

emily

Shutdown and such works fine for me without any funky chmod +s or whatnot. I am running dbus and hal though, so ensure they are running and try again.

#15 2009-01-22 20:10:12

alex_anthony

Strange - happened to me 3 times in a row, then stopped. No updates or config changes in between...
Oh well, works now.

#16 2009-01-22 21:29:53

Kilz

alex_anthony wrote:
Kilz wrote:

In Ubuntu its impossible to remove some applications like evolution without uninstalling the rest of the desktop.

You do know that removing the ubuntu-desktop metapackage in ubuntu doesn't uninstall everything by the way? Only time that affects it is Arch.

I like seeing GNOME as the developers made it to be. That's why I like the vanilla-ness of Arch's gnome.
It's strange to see how different Ubuntu makes it.

Its possible they changed it. At one time removing evolution removed the desktop also. I am enjoying Arch now, the speed is nice. But there are a few little things I would like to bring over. The combined logout-shutdown applet is one of them.  If I cant find out how soon I'l see if I cant extract it from a deb file.

I trust Microsoft about as far as I can comfortably spit a dead rat.
Cinnamon is a wonderful desktop
"Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#17 2009-01-25 18:29:12

syms

i can say that im so bored of kde 3.5 that i even started to cry. so i dont wanna give up with gnome. everythink is fine with dbus or hal, and user groups. in fact everythink is fine in kde, but not in gnome. also why i cant change privileges in policykit authorizations. whenever i want change grant privileges, grant button is always greyed out. even when i start gnome as root same problem.

#18 2009-01-26 08:31:19

Aphanic

@syms: For the shutdown problem (and maybe the policykit one): Are you the owner of all of your config files?

At least for Gnome you need that, try:

# sudo chown user:user /home/user
or
# su; chown user:user /home/user

Where "user" is your username. I guess you can do it not for the whole home directory but for the ".config" only.

Regards.

#19 2009-01-26 12:44:40

syms

Aphanic wrote:

@syms: For the shutdown problem (and maybe the policykit one): Are you the owner of all of your config files?

At least for Gnome you need that, try:

# sudo chown user:user /home/user
or
# su; chown user:user /home/user

Where "user" is your username. I guess you can do it not for the whole home directory but for the ".config" only.

Regards.

this didnt help. i still cant grant privileges in policykit. but i have installed kdemod, maybe if i uninstall kdemod it will solve problem?

#20 2009-01-26 13:55:50

syms

after some searching i found that member called Liquen has exactly same problem heres link for thread: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=61869
i didnt found solution

#21 2009-01-26 19:59:30

syms

ah, finally big_smile
i fixed that problem, i needed to do this command for everything:

sudo polkit-action --set-defaults-any [command] yes

it does everythink fine. replace command by entering code from authorizations menu. system > preferences > authorizations. click on whatever command for example restart the system, look at identifier at top, it should be org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.restart, heres example

sudo polkit-action --set-defaults-any org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.restart yes

now you are able to restart pc. do this to everythink you see like revoke authorizations, change cpu  frequency, change time etc etc.
good luck!

#22 2009-01-26 21:36:59

Aphanic

I'm glad to hear that! So... the problem of the restart, shutdown issue and so were because of PolicyKit itself right?

Interesting!

Board footer