You are not logged in.

#1 2004-08-22 00:18:28

slyski

unknown packages??

:?:
before i start listing a bunch of bug reports i like to know for sure if the following packages are listed under the stated name or are they some sort of generic name that makepkg or pacman uses (i.e. kde, gnome, xfce4, etc) ?

smtp-server
x-server

at least these two come up as 'builddeps' ever so often in building packages using makeworld or makepkg but they don't exist in the cvs tree. php is one such package that doesn't get built for example.

thanks,
slyski

Joey: If a cow passes away from natural causes can I eat it.
Pheobe: Not if I get there first.

#2 2004-08-22 00:35:50

mike182

Re: unknown packages??

Those packages exist, but not as those names.  "X-server" for example is a reference to either xfree86 or xorg.  The same goes for "smtp-server".  I'd recommend just installing xorg by doing a:

pacman -S xorg

and then a :

pacman -Ss smtp

and then choose your smtp server. 

mike182

[..save the penguins..]

#3 2004-08-22 00:44:28

slyski

thanks mike182,

i figured as much. i have been substituting x-server with xorg in PKGBUILDS but the smtp-server i was a bit confused on which one to use. i will try the pacman -Ss smtp like you suggested.

maybe the PKGBUILDS will eventually come around  wink

cheers,
slyski

#4 2004-08-22 07:05:10

sarah31
Website

both those "depends" are "fixes" that allows one to make package that may depend on exim or postfix or xfree86 or xorg without specifically having to place exim/postfix or xorg/xfree86 in the depends list. this allows a use rmore freedom and hassle.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#5 2004-08-22 13:19:12

slyski

the only bug i found with that system is since i had xorg installed the PKGBUILD didn't stop at 'x-server' but "php's PKGBUILD" stop building at 'smtp-server' but didn't give me any hint that exim or postfix was my choice to install.

i actually found exim with the suggestion from mike182
pacman -Ss smtp.

i would never expected exim as a substitute with out doin a bunch of reading, reading, reading.

BTW, i am building packages for my 2gig Celeron using pentium4 optimizations. It is going pretty well so far. If I run into a package that just won't build I just use a i686 package from the repo till i can figure out the small bugs in PKGBUILDs.

i'm also building for my i586 amd-k6 probably going to be used someday in my gateway/router using a CF-to-IDE convertor for a super low power silent system.

thanks for the responses,
slyski
smile

Board footer