You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-19 15:10:31

userlander

[SOLVED]Don't Understand Localization and Font Display

I've googled for hours and followed the localization wiki to a T, but I still don't get why my apps can't display "umlauts" and other international characters. e.g.:

no-umlautz.png

I have english UTF and ISO-8859 defined in /etc/locale.gen and UTF specified in rc.conf, I even added a german locale in case I needed some locale that actually uses them, but they still wouldn't display so I removed it. here is locale now:

$ locale -a
C
POSIX
en_US
en_US.iso88591
en_US.iso885915
en_US.utf8

$ locale
LANG=en_US.utf8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.utf8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.utf8"
LC_TIME="en_US.utf8"
LC_COLLATE=C
LC_MONETARY="en_US.utf8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.utf8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.utf8"
LC_NAME="en_US.utf8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.utf8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.utf8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.utf8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.utf8"
LC_ALL=

I've tried numerous different fonts, terminals, and apps, and none can display the characters. They seem to display in web content in browsers. Is it just something to do with GTK/2 apps or a setting I'm missing somewhere in xfce? I don't have KDE on this machine to test.

Last edited by userlander (2009-01-19 17:01:41)

#2 2009-01-19 15:16:12

allbluedream

Re: [SOLVED]Don't Understand Localization and Font Display

The problem isn't with your system. Most probably it's your music files.
Do you have them in mp3 format? It must be the ID3 tags which are causing the problem.
Try Ex Falso (comes alone with Quod Libet) which has a nice extension to fix tag encodings (namely, "Converting Encodings").

#3 2009-01-19 17:01:26

userlander

Re: [SOLVED]Don't Understand Localization and Font Display

allbluedream wrote:

The problem isn't with your system. Most probably it's your music files.
Do you have them in mp3 format? It must be the ID3 tags which are causing the problem.
Try Ex Falso (comes alone with Quod Libet) which has a nice extension to fix tag encodings (namely, "Converting Encodings").

yes, they're mp3s. I ripped them myself, so I thought they would be able to deal with the international characters. I'll check out Ex Falso, thanks.

Board footer