You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-20 21:18:05

bram85
Website

Version updates on local packages

In the near future I plan to install Arch Linux as my main distro. Currently I'm using Gentoo, which gives me a great deal of flexibility when it comes to modifying a build to your own needs. I understand this is also possible with ABS.

There's one issue I couldn't find anything about. How about updates if you installed a modified package which ended up in the 'local' repository?
For instance, if I pick the PKGBUILD for Qt 4.4.3, make some modifications and install it with 'pacman -U', it will end up in 'local' (at least that's how Shaman calls it). But what if Qt 4.4.4 is released, and Qt's PKGBUILD in the ABS tree will be updated accordingly? Will I see this update, despite that I'm not using the version from the 'extra' repository anymore? Or is there an easy way to check my modified PKGBUILDs whether they are outdated or not?

#2 2009-01-20 21:22:02

wonder
Developer
Website

Re: Version updates on local packages

if you don't modify the package name then pacman will update automaticaly when a new update is available.
also the version from abs will be updated to the latest version from extra.

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#3 2009-01-20 21:25:31

mcmillan

If you build a package and call it the same as the official one pacman won't view it any differently, so if there's a newer one in the repository it will say it's out of date and try to upgrade (unless you have it configured to not upgrade, but it will still give a message about newer versions being available).

#4 2009-01-20 21:26:04

bram85
Website

wonder wrote:

if you don't modify the package name then pacman will update automaticaly when a new update is available.
also the version from abs will be updated to the latest version from extra.

But I will lose my modifications, right? Special configure flags and stuff.

#5 2009-01-20 21:40:42

wonder
Developer
Website

yes. if you did some modification in makepkg.conf

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#6 2009-01-20 21:54:24

skottish
Forum Fellow

Welcome to the forums bram85.

This is some good reading as how to have custom packages in Arch without things being overwritten by pacman. Notice the pkgname, conflicts, provides, and replaces lines in particular:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arc … guidelines

I know that this is for version controlled packages, but the logic is the same. You also may want to take a look at KDEmod's PKGBUILD files. Since you mentioned QT, see what they did for qt-enhanced.

#7 2009-01-20 22:54:56

Allan
Pacman
Website

And there are options in the pacman configuration file to ignore updated from the main repos for certain packages.

Board footer