You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-22 03:25:39

ShadowKyogre
Website

Converted RPMs and Debs! Get 'em here!

http://www.mediafire.com/ShadowKyogre

Has a bunch of micellaneous stuff...but most of it are my custom .pkg.tar.gzs for Arch Linux. Enjoy!

Want a conversion request? Post it here! big_smile

Last edited by ShadowKyogre (2009-01-22 03:26:36)

For every problem, there is a solution that is:
Clean
Simple and most of all...wrong!
Github page

#2 2009-01-22 03:31:35

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: Converted RPMs and Debs! Get 'em here!

I don't understand why you would want to do this...  especially for boost? 

Could you add the versions so people know what is going on with them?  In fact, how did you make those packages because it was not with makepkg.

#3 2009-01-22 03:34:16

ShadowKyogre
Website

Well, that was for memory purposes since I wanted to keep an svn version of boost using Xyene's PKGBUILD (1.3.7). Anyway, I made the packages by placing them in the correct install paths, writing PKGINFOs on them, and tarring them up. I have a tut here:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/User:ShadowKyogre

Plus it's much more simple for me than compiling from source.

And yeah...I'll need to do that sometime like a weekend or something.

Last edited by ShadowKyogre (2009-01-22 03:41:24)

Clean
Github page

#4 2009-01-22 03:43:14

Allan
Pacman
Website

My point was, if you write a PKGBUILD where you do the extraction of the deb/rpm and install them to the right place, makepkg will do all the .PKGINFO creation etc for you.  I'm sure there are examples of this in the AUR...

#5 2009-01-22 03:44:48

ShadowKyogre
Website

Yeah...but apparently I didn't write up PKGBUILDs. Probably I should learn how to make those too.

Clean
Github page

#6 2009-02-05 15:40:45

dschauer

I'd rather rebuild the packages from source anyways myself. See this forum post: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 72#p493672

#7 2009-02-05 18:21:10

kludge

ShadowKyogre wrote:

Yeah...but apparently I didn't write up PKGBUILDs. Probably I should learn how to make those too.

yeah, i'd say.  arch already includes two or three good implementations of the wheel.  manually writing .PKGINFOs for .debs and .rpms seems like re-inventing it yet again, but adding corners.

[23:00:16]    dr_kludge | i want to invent an olfactory human-computer interface, integrate it into the web standards, then produce my own forked browser.
[23:00:32]    dr_kludge | can you guess what i'd call it?
[23:01:16]    dr_kludge | nosilla.
[23:01:32]    dr_kludge | i really should be going to bed.  i'm giggling madly about that.

#8 2009-02-07 02:29:14

LTSmash
Website

I usually use deb2targz and then extract the contents to where they should go, but obviously in a PKGBUILD so things are easier. Check my crossover packages:

http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?SeB=m&K=LTSmash

Any will do

Proud Ex-Arch user.
Still an ArchLinux lover though.

Currently on Kubuntu 9.10

#9 2009-02-07 06:39:28

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

What would be the mileage in a debs converter ie convert a native ubuntu package to Arch?

Mr Green

#10 2009-02-07 09:28:05

tomk
Forum Fellow

ShadowKyogre wrote:

I have a tut here:

For the sake of the Arch community, I sincerely hope that you are the only one who thinks your process is simpler than writing a PKGBUILD and using makepkg. yikes

IMO there is only one sane reason for using rpms/debs on Arch, and that's for applications which are only distributed in that format, and for which the upstream source is unavailable.

Mr Green - I think you'd be lucky to get "inchage" out of a deb/rpm2Arch converter, let alone mileage. tongue

#11 2009-02-07 11:56:48

dschauer

For the sake of the Arch community, I sincerely hope that you are the only one who thinks your process is simpler than writing a PKGBUILD and using makepkg.

I would just like and automated translation from a source rpm (or deb) to a PKBUILD and surrounding files that I could tweak as need be. (Since no translation tool seems exist I'm considering writing my own).

As far as the rest of this discussion goes, while I'm not trying to offend anyone, the idea of using a package that was built on some other distro to a binary rpm or deb and then converted as is to a binary package for ArchLinux is a bit distateful to me. One should always be able to use makepkg to rebuild a package that matches the current installed libraries, etc, and where all the files are properly tracked by pacman.

#12 2009-02-07 12:15:35

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

tomk wrote:
ShadowKyogre wrote:

I have a tut here:

For the sake of the Arch community, I sincerely hope that you are the only one who thinks your process is simpler than writing a PKGBUILD and using makepkg. yikes

I could not agree more. For a distro that is centered around knowledge and users that have to do a fair bit of DIY, this kind of things is imho not done. It's fine if you choose to do this for your own system, but please don't promote it. You shouldn't be breaking other people's installations. A PKGBUILD in AUR is a far more valued contribution than a converted .deb or .rpm (although the community values any contribution of course wink).

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

Board footer