You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-22 18:34:09

Adman65

Can't detect LVM drives after kernel upgrade

Setup:
I'm running arch from an LVM root VG: Tank LV: Arch.  Everything is good in the installer.  The sytem boots fine after that.  I install xorg, nvidia, and slim.  Nvidia pulls kerenl 2.6.28 (I think) I'm guess the newest version of the kernel.  Pacman goes through and installs the kernel.  My guess is that it doesn't generated a correct initrd to bring up the LVM volumes before mounting.  Although, I don't know if this is a problem with my arch configuration or the kernel package.  Any help would be appericated.

Here are important snippets:

#/etc/rc.conf
# Scan for LVM volume groups at startup, required if you use LVM
USELVM="yes"
#/etc/mkinitcpio.conf
HOOKS="base udev autodetect pata scsi sata usb usbinput keymap lvm2 filesystems"
#grub
# (0) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux
root   (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/mapper/tank-arch ro
initrd /kernel26.img

#2 2009-01-23 06:06:55

fflarex

Re: Can't detect LVM drives after kernel upgrade

Did you do a complete system update before the new kernel was installing (pacman -Syu)? Honestly, everything looks fine to me, and my own setup is very similar but with the added complexity of LUKS encryption.

Maybe try booting from the Arch Linux Fallback entry in grub.

#3 2009-01-23 07:14:37

Adman65

fflarex wrote:

Maybe try booting from the Arch Linux Fallback entry in grub.

That did not work either.

And Ya, its not a very complicated setup.

#4 2009-01-23 07:46:30

fflarex

And you did do a complete update first? Other packages might be influencing the issue. I get the feeling that this is a recent install, so if you used the 2008.06 installer there are several other critical updates you might need (lvm2, device-mapper, initscripts... basically everything in the core repository). New installer ISOs are expected very soon (like today... or early next week), so you could try reinstalling with that to give you an up-to-date and working system. More of a last resort type of thing than a solution, but it's a possibility.

If you're loading modules manually at boot, could you post your MODULES line from rc.conf? The default is to automatically load them, so you'd know if you changed this.

I'm having a hard time thinking of other things which could have gone wrong, assuming there's no weird details you're leaving out. Are there any notable error messages when you try to boot?

#5 2009-01-23 17:47:21

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

can you write down/make a picture of the exact output on screen?
also, you should be able to extract the initrd and have a look at the code that it will execute.

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

Board footer