You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-23 11:38:45

noyb

Hang on dragging window which is initializing in Openbox

Hi guys,

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

If I open a window in Openbox and then drag the window whilst the program within is still loading up fully I get a complete system hang. Window and mouse are frozen and only Alt+SysRq REISUB will get me out of it.

The 2 programs which I've managed to do this on so far are Firefox (whilst it is loading pages that were open from the previous session) and VirtualBox (the window in which a VM is in the process of powering up) both of which take time to start up (relatively) compared to the other stuff I'm using (mainly terminals and console-based programs).

This has happened to me 4 times now. It is not reproducible every single time but I would guess it happens about 20% of the time. The alternative is to wait until the program has completed startup and has become quiet which is what I'll have to do in the meantime (haven't figured out yet how to get OB to remember window positions) but I don't think that is a permanent solution. I moved to Linux and then Arch because I was in search of performance and stability and so I'd really like to get this sorted (since my setup so far has been rock solid).

I suspect this is an OB bug but I would really appreciate any suggestions or pointers.

TIA

#2 2009-02-01 01:42:33

jraab22

Re: Hang on dragging window which is initializing in Openbox

I don't have open box or know how to solve this , but one thing that may help you get more information is to start Firefox in a terminal, and see if any errors show up when this happens.  Might help point to the problem

Board footer