You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-23 22:15:06

madman

Weird HAL Problems

I've installed HAL and DBUS and pmount and created a user/group for DBUS; HAL basically seems to load fine.  The issue is that I've been trying to get kdm to quit rejecting my logins and also to have my USB based drives auto detected/mounted in X / KDE.  Well, I seem to have kdm accepting my logins (sort of) and then when I get into X /KDE - All of my keystrokes and mouse clicks are doubled or trippled....   ddooeess  aannyyoonnee  kknnooowww aabboouutt  tthhiiss??

If I run " /etc/rc.d/hal stop " and " startx "  everything seems to be ok...  still no auto mounting though.:rolleyes:

#2 2009-01-24 02:51:08

madman

Re: Weird HAL Problems

Well I experimented a little further and found that if I login through KDM, the keystroke is echoed once when I press it and once when I release it.  Then if I CTRL+ALT+BKSPC to console (which works fine; no doubles) and " startx " (with HAL still running)  I get doubles (and some triples).  In the first scenario, there is no key repeating... In the second, it repeats as usual, just double for every press (maybe a little faster than usual).  And of course if I kill HAL, everything works fine.

I recently did a fresh net install with just KDE, X, HAL, DBUS, etc, etc.

#3 2009-01-24 22:26:10

madman

OK, as usual, I figured out my own problem...  I guess venting about it publicly helps somehow.

In my " /etc/X11/xorg.conf " file, I had added  '  Option "AllowEmptyInput" "false"  '  to ServerFlags because I was setting up my system from a very basic net install (manually adding X and KDE packages) and my keyboard and mouse wouldn't work otherwise.  So i just added a # to comment out that line, and wouldn't you know no more repeats!!  And HAL works like it should, and so does KDM (at least for auto-logins so far).

I decided to try this after reading on hal's freedesktop.org website about how it trys to map the keyboard.  I figured that I should try disabling the keyboard and mouse in xorg.conf,  then I saw my little Option line and removed it. wink

#4 2009-01-25 05:19:43

u_no_hu

Great.. wink You have found  the true Arch way . Welcome to Arch.... smile

Don't be a HELP VAMPIRE. Please search before you ask.

Subscribe to The Arch Daily News.

#5 2009-02-07 10:35:19

zpet731

Wait a sec what is the Arch way:

1. Figuring out your own problem

or

2. Venting about it publicly tongue

In any case thanks for the tip. I just switched from Gentoo after 6+ years and I must admit that the forums are as good as Gentoo's, you always find what you need.

#6 2009-02-07 15:18:17

MetalheadGautham
Website

Switch FROM gentoo ? I always heard that ArchLinux is often considered the "stepping stone" to gentoo...

#7 2009-02-07 23:00:42

Themaister
Website

I thought Gentoo was in a decline tongue Reading comments about "Oh, Gentoo used to be so much better in 2003" and such. Arch is at least getting better and better. smile

#8 2009-02-08 08:21:38

u_no_hu

s/was in decline/almost dead tongue

Don't be a HELP VAMPIRE. Please search before you ask.

Subscribe to The Arch Daily News.

#9 2009-02-09 12:20:09

zpet731

Gentoo is still a great distribution and I still use it on my desktop, but the constant compiling is taking a toll on my laptop. I think Arch is great for laptops, this is the first week and I might say not too bad smile.

And I don't think Gentoo is so much on the decline, but more on the note: "not progressing" as much as many people had hoped for. Plus with the increase of resources for maintenance people are getting frustrated if certain issues aren't addressed as quickly as they want them to be. But all in all Gentoo has its purpose (and advantages) as a distribution, and the Gentoo community is one of a kind. (Though I might add that Arch is progressing very well too).

ps. Apologies to the moderator for getting off topic here smile

Last edited by zpet731 (2009-02-09 12:21:17)

Board footer