You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-26 10:57:13

connexion2000

Radeon HD and archlinux expirience

Hi!
For a long time I have used nVidia GeForce cards. But now I am planning to buy a new computer with Radeon HD4850 cards. Could Radeon users share with me their expirience? Does KDE work as expected with desktop effects?

#2 2009-01-26 12:54:49

leeyee

Re: Radeon HD and archlinux expirience

On my desktop it's running ubuntu, ATI HD3450 works fine with fglrx, for everything, But on laptop running Arch, it's ATI HD3470, works with catalyst 8.12 and xf86-video-radeonhd, but not perfectly, there are tiny but annoying problems using both the two drivers.

Using catalyst 8.12, cannot restart X, otherwise it will freeze system; Using radeonhd, performance is low, and laptop FAN keeps running. Maybe I didn't configure it properly.

Archlinux x86_64 on Thinkpad T400
Intel X4500MHD / ATI HD3470 Graphics, 2G RAM, 160G HD

#3 2009-01-26 14:01:57

userlander

leeyee - I can confirm I have the same problem with restarting X with catalyst 8.12-3. The screen goes black and the system freezes.

There's also a problem sometimes on start up, where after doing startx, the X-shaped cursor will show up on the screen, you can move it around with the mouse, but the rest of X just stalls in that state without starting the desktop. Since killing X with ctrl+alt+backspace locks up the computer, there's nothing to do but reboot. At least KB works from a terminal in that case for a proper shutdown.

Performance seems fair, no worse than the open source drivers at least (which I couldn't get working with DRI with this card, 4350HD, although they worked perfectly with my 9600). My card is fanless, but does seem to run slightly hot. That might just be the card itself. though.

If the restarting X problems are just because of configuration, I'd like to find out what it is. Otherwise, I think you should file a bug report. smile

#4 2009-01-26 14:42:37

leeyee

Seems to me it's a quite common problem with catalyst, i've met many people have a same problem. I've post a detailed post here: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=63332

I've searched on freedesktop bugzilla, ati unofficial wiki or asked on IRC channel #xorg, #ati, #archlinux, but never got useful information. And it's a shame, that I don't how and where to file a bug report.

#5 2009-01-26 14:51:30

userlander

If you look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log with the open source drivers, I think you'll find that it says that DRI is disabled, even though glxinfo says Direct rendering "yes." That's what I was getting, at least, with 200-300fps similiar to you. When I switched to fglrx, I get around 1800.

I'd like to try to get DRI working with the open source drivers to hopefully solve the black screen problem. I'm not sure where to file a bug report for X either, though. But it might just be an arch implementation of the drivers, so maybe starting with filing an Arch bug report would start the ball rolling at least. If they think it is more of an upstream problem they will let us know.

>edit: just think, though -- from what I have heard, the nvidia drivers are even worse! I don't know why the open source community can't get better video drivers, we've only been dealing with video card problems ever since linux began practically. roll Of course the manufacturers are not going to cooperate very much, they are paid off by microsoft.

Last edited by userlander (2009-01-26 14:53:06)

#6 2009-01-26 16:01:22

Ranguvar

I would go with Intel or AMD these days (and I used to be an NVIDIA fanboy, I have a 9600GT) smile Intel if you're in the lower end - their new chips are quite powerful, and they've worked wonders with the Linux team on great open source drivers. AMD historically has made worse drivers, especially for Linux, but the open source RadeonHD driver is great and improving very fast for those that have cards it supports.

#7 2009-01-26 16:17:06

Wintervenom

connexion2000 wrote:

Hi!
For a long time I have used nVidia GeForce cards. But now I am planning to buy a new computer with Radeon HD4850 cards. Could Radeon users share with me their expirience? Does KDE work as expected with desktop effects?

I have an HD 3100.  It works nicely, but trying to play a video or a windowed 3D-accelerated game with the compositing enabled will result in nasty flickering.

#8 2009-01-26 16:20:45

Mikko777

catalyst for me with hd4850.

-3d performance on par with windows
-2d perf on par or better than opensource drivers, and still prolly better than nvidia

-accelerated HD video coming soonish i guess
-nonflickering video with composite coming soonish too

biggest annoyance atm is definately the black screen X hang on start if you change tvout settings in amdcccle, but
since it was working previously guess it cannot be too hard to fix.

Also i  have no idea if wine works at all with catalyst drivers, nvidia prolly does wine better.

Edit: oh and  videos / tvout look better in linux than in windows, also i dont have any tearing in videos like some ppl claim to  have.

Last edited by Mikko777 (2009-01-26 16:22:00)

#9 2009-01-26 19:32:16

Diaz

leeyee wrote:

On my desktop it's running ubuntu, ATI HD3450 works fine with fglrx, for everything, But on laptop running Arch, it's ATI HD3470, works with catalyst 8.12 and xf86-video-radeonhd, but not perfectly, there are tiny but annoying problems using both the two drivers.

Using catalyst 8.12, cannot restart X, otherwise it will freeze system; Using radeonhd, performance is low, and laptop FAN keeps running. Maybe I didn't configure it properly.

i confirm. i have a 3470 in my laptop and with both drivers there are little issues. the best atm is the catalyst, because of the 3D and auto fan speed regulation.

the open-source one doesn't have 2D acceleration nor 3D support yet hmm

#10 2009-01-26 20:18:38

fmma

I can confirm the "black screen" problem with the ATI (non open-source) driver. This is new because on my old install i didn't have the prblem (kernel 2.6.27; catalyst 8.11).

My tick deleting .Xauthority and replace

cp /etc/ati/amdpcsdb.default /etc/ati/amdpcsdb

before restarting X
only solved sometimes the problem. More frequently - I have to re-start the computer sad

Here my Xorg.0.log file (reduced) to WW and EE. I can' t see any critical error. Only slightly confusing is the warning:

WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@1:0:1) found                        
(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@1:0:1) found

because my xorg conf says that the graphic card is in PCI 1:0:0.

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
    Driver      "fglrx"                
    Option      "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
    Option      "DRI" "true"                  
    BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"                   
EndSection                                    

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]-1"
    Driver      "fglrx"                
    Option      "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
    Option      "DRI" "true"
    Screen      1
EndSection

I have confirmed this with lspci

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV730 PRO [Radeon HD 4650]

Here the rather long Xor.0.log

(EE) fglrx(1): [FB] Can not get FB MC address range.                 
(EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed                        

(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/PEX" does not exist.            
(WW) `fonts.dir' not found (or not valid) in "/usr/share/fonts/cyrillic".
(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/Type1" does not exist.              
(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/ttf/western" does not exist.        
(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/ttf/decoratives" does not exist.    
(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/truetype" does not exist.           
(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/truetype/openoffice" does not exist.
(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-bitstream-vera" does not exist.
(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/latex-ttf-fonts" does not exist.            
(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/defoma/CID" does not exist.                 
(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/defoma/TrueType" does not exist.            
(WW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (No such file or directory)        
(WW) fglrx: Force AIGLX enabled                                                  
(WW) Falling back to old probe method for fglrx                                  
(WW) This ATI Proprietary Linux Driver does not guarantee support of video driver ABI higher than 2.0
(WW) Video driver ABI version of the X server is 4.1                                                 
(WW) fglrx(0): board is an unknown third party board, chipset is supported                           
(WW) fglrx(1): board is an unknown third party board, chipset is supported                           
(WW) fglrx(0): Option "VendorName" is not used                                                       
(WW) fglrx(0): Option "ModelName" is not used                                                        
(WW) fglrx(1): Option "DRI" is not used                                                              
(WW) fglrx(1): Option "VendorName" is not used                                                       
(WW) fglrx(1): Option "ModelName" is not used                                                        
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x23                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x24                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x25                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x26                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x27                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x28                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x29                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2a                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2b                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2c                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2d                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2e                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2f                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x30                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x31                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x32                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x33                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x34                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x35                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x36                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x37                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x38                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x39                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x3a                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x3b                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x3c                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x3d                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x3e                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x3f                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x40                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x41                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x42                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x43                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x44                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x45                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x46                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x47                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x48                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x49                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x4a                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x4b                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x4c                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x4d                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x4e                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x4f                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x50                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x51                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x52                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x53                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x54                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x55                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x56                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x57                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x58                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x59                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x5a                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x5b                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x5c                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x5d                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x5e                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x5f                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x60                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x61                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x62                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x63                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x64                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x65                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x66                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x67                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x68                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x69                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x6a                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x6b                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x6c                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x6d                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x6e                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x6f                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x70                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x71                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x72                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x8a                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x8b                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x8c                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x8d                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x8e                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x8f                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x90                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x91                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x92                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x93                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x94                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x95                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x96                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x97                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x98                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x99                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x9a                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x9b                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x9c                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x9d                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x9e                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x9f                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xa0                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xa1                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xa2                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xa3                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xa4                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xa5                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xa6                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xa7                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xa8                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xa9                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xaa                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xab                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xac                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xad                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xae                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xaf                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xb0                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xb1                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xb2                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xb3                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xb4                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xb5                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xb6                                              
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xb7
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xb8
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xb9
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xba
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xbb
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xbc
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xbd
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xbe
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xbf
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xc0
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xc1
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xc2
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xc3
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xc4
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xc5
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xc6
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xc7
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xc8
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xc9
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xca
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xcb
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xcc
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xcd
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xce
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xcf
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xd0
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xd1
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xd2
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xd3
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xd4
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xd5
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xd6
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xd7
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xd8
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0xd9
(WW) Option "XkbVariant" requires an string value

Open source radeon and radeonhd doesn't work for me. Cont-alt-del is rebooting the computer and glxgears gives only 800 fps (similar to the vesa driver) compared to over 3000 fps with fglrx.

For the moment I stick to fglrx and re-booting and deleting .Xauthority + deleting amdpcsdb if necessary after stopping X. I hope a new ATI driver will correct this problem.

#11 2009-01-26 20:28:02

userlander

Deleting the .Xauthority file before starting X allows me to kill X and go to the terminal. I can't start X from there again without it locking up, though.

Mythtv playback is really bad with both the open source drivers and the fglrx drivers, whereas it was working great with my 9600. Both drivers screw up the aspect ratio, making everything 4:3, which I was able to fix  with the fglrx drivers somewhat (14:9 instead of 16:9) by changing the deinterlacer, but then the color is dull and the picture is almost blurry.

I actually think I'm going to try an nvidia card. tongue

#12 2009-01-26 21:23:11

Ranguvar

Err, there seems to be quite a lot of false info here about the open source driver.
Note that there are TWO open-source ATI/AMD drivers, excluding DRI!

xf86-video-ati is the one most people seem to know. This one has excellent 2D performance if you have a card that can handle EXA rendering, blowing away fglrx (otherwise known as Catalyst, this is the closed-source driver). Cards that can't handle EXA run almost identically with 2D as with the Catalyst driver. No 3D support besides CPU (software) rendering, AFAIK. This driver is sometimes called (confusingly) Radeon.

xf86-video-radeonhd (aka just RadeonHD) is the new OSS one. It's under VERY active development, supports some very new and some in-development kernel features, and just like the old OSS driver, blows Catalyst to bits in terms of 2D performance with EXA cards (and also as before, is too close to call with non-EXA). 3D support is spotty - many games have glitches, crash, etc. Phoronix has been covering this driver's development daily. It's backed by AMD, who are doing a very good job at providing tons of docs and tools to the OSS devs, like the recent BIOS disassembler. I'm betting AMD is planning on making this their fully supported driver, perhaps even for Windows/Mac, eventually.

Here's some relevant benchmarks/stories:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=search&q=RadeonHD

#13 2009-01-26 23:15:52

userlander

I used both xf86-video-ati and xf86-video-radeonhd. Neither one (along with ati-dri) enables direct render, and neither one gives the correct aspect ratio in myth. Since I don't need 3D, I would definitely use those over catalyst if they would work with myth on this card.

#14 2009-01-26 23:20:59

Ranguvar

userlander wrote:

I used both xf86-video-ati and xf86-video-radeonhd. Neither one (along with ati-dri) enables direct render, and neither one gives the correct aspect ratio in myth. Since I don't need 3D, I would definitely use those over catalyst if they would work with myth on this card.

*Googles* Yeah, that seems to be a common issue. I hope it gets resolved soon for you smile

#15 2009-01-26 23:29:03

Wintervenom

Ranguvar wrote:

[...]
xf86-video-ati is the one most people seem to know. [...] No 3D support besides CPU (software) rendering, AFAIK. This driver is sometimes called (confusingly) Radeon.

I'm pretty sure at this Radeon driver also supports 3D for a range of video cards (including the Radeon X1300 I had on my VIA tower).
I think it is just now starting to get some Radeon HD support, too, in 3D.
Somewhere, there is a table that has a list of what feature each driver supports for a list of Radeon cards.
(Don't know if it's been updated, though.)

Last edited by Wintervenom (2009-01-26 23:50:58)

#16 2009-01-27 00:21:25

Ranguvar

Och, looks like it. The AMD driver scene is a very confusing place right now tongue

#17 2009-01-27 03:24:19

leeyee

Guys using radeon or radeonhd driver, if you are on laptop, do you have FAN keep running?

#18 2009-01-27 03:56:40

Diaz

leeyee wrote:

Guys using radeon or radeonhd driver, if you are on laptop, do you have FAN keep running?

with the open-source one me haz it tongue

#19 2009-01-27 04:56:36

Wintervenom

leeyee wrote:

I have a hardware-controlled fan, so I coudn't tell you.

Last edited by Wintervenom (2009-08-05 15:14:03)

#20 2009-01-27 11:37:43

snack

On my laptop I have a Mobility Radeon HD 3470, no freezing issues when restarting X with catalyst driver. Only poor 2D performances under KDEmod, especially when dragging windows.

#21 2009-01-27 11:42:51

leeyee

snack wrote:

On my laptop I have a Mobility Radeon HD 3470, no freezing issues when restarting X with catalyst driver. Only poor 2D performances under KDEmod, especially when dragging windows.

have your system fully upgraded? I mean, xorg 7.4-2, catalyst 8.12-3

Last edited by leeyee (2009-01-27 11:44:01)

#22 2009-01-27 22:12:30

connexion2000

I have noticed that black screen and lockup problem on logout is also nvidia problem.

#23 2009-01-28 04:26:36

leeyee

connexion2000 wrote:

I have noticed that black screen and lockup problem on logout is also nvidia problem.

Do you have the same problem if using startx? Seems x server has problem when working with properity drivers. On my box, X caught signal 4 result in fatal error.

#24 2009-01-28 10:23:48

fmma

I hope this is not getting more confusing, but here an update on fglrx ant radonhd on my arch installation (HIS radeon 4650, rv730). My X carashed again while installing virtualBox. Scince that I was not able to start X again (neither re-booting or deleting .Xauthority as described before) helped. Ranguvar, mentioned that to his knowledge 2D is quite good with radeonhd, so I removed catalyst and installed xf86-video-radeonhd.

hwd -xa and aticonfig is creating a very long xorg.conf file (see my previous post), but most of this is not necessary anymore. So I started with a fresh simple xorg.file for radeonhd. I found quite useful information here:

http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/HowToRandR12 and
http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/HowToRandR12

here.

With my new xorg.conf file (see below) I have now dual-head in KDE and FluxBox and no black screen. So far everything is working and very stable. I don't play and need no 3D so I can live with no 3D accelerating (as expected and reported before, glxgears dropped from >3000 fps to 500 fps).

Hope this helps

Here my xorg.conf for dual head, one analog (1024x768) and one digital (1440x900)

# Xorg.conf file with help from:
#
# http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8145
# http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/HowToRandR12
# http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10980
# http://intellinuxgraphics.org/dualhead.html

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "LG15"
        Option  "RightOf" "LG19"
        Option  "PreferredMode" "1024x768"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "LG19"
        Option  "PreferredMode" "1440x900"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "HD4650"
        Driver      "radeonhd"
        Option      "monitor-DVI-I_1/analog"  "LG15"
        Option      "monitor-DVI-I_2/digital" "LG19"
        Option      "RDROutputOrder" "DVI-I_1/analog"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier   "HD4650"
        Device       "HD4650"
        DefaultDepth     24
    Subsection "Display"
                Virtual 3072 1200
        EndSubsection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier    "Server"
    Screen        "HD4650"
#    InputDevice    "Generic Keyboard"
#    InputDevice    "Configured Mouse"
EndSection

#25 2009-01-28 11:00:29

connexion2000

leeyee wrote:
connexion2000 wrote:

Do you have the same problem if using startx? Seems x server has problem when working with properity drivers. On my box, X caught signal 4 result in fatal error.

It occured once. I use propertiary nvidia driver, I just clicked log out and it crashed showing black screen.

Board footer