You are not logged in.

#26 2009-01-28 12:33:40

Kilz

Re: Radeon HD and archlinux expirience

I have no issues. I have a HD3870. I have the catalyst drivers installed. No flicker in videos, can log in and out just fine. I do have the flicker if I boot into my Ubuntu partition. But the way to get rid of it is to change the video output of vlc and other media players to x11 from xv If I remember correctly.

I trust Microsoft about as far as I can comfortably spit a dead rat.
Cinnamon is a wonderful desktop
"Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#27 2009-05-07 18:07:28

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

The OSS drivers really are under active development. It _is_ possible to get exa and xv working with HD series cards if you get the drm module that enables that.

Currently I'm using the xf86-video-ati-git from aur with drm-radeon-module-git-r6xx-r7xx also from aur and dri is working fine and xv is also working fine with no really bad tearing. 3D is still something that has to come but there is work on the way to provide that as far as I know.

Also this xf86-video-ati-git does provide a little bit of power saving although not as aggressive as the catalyst driver I hear. With my notebook there seems to be some powersaving with the OSS driver while the catalyst driver told me my card is a mobility radeon but wouldn't detect any powersaving features (it does seem to me my notebook runs a bit longer on battery with the latest OSS driver but I've never did any serious timings).

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#28 2009-05-07 18:21:14

MazurMe

If you want to experience good perfomance under Linux then choose nvidia. AMD support just suck, every new driver, for me, bringing new bugs. I got radeonhd3200 and I am using Catalyst 9.4. Open Source driver looks good for now but 3d is poor under it.

Archlinux: x86_64, Gnome 2.26.*
I am registered Linux user number 485935 since september, 2007.

Board footer