You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-28 23:54:16

panosk

Opera and Firefox on KDE4.2

Hi all,

Firefox has it's quirks with KDE4. Tabs are not rendered correctly and controls (drop-down lists, radio buttons, etc) inside web pages look weird with a a silver casting color. Anyway, not a big deal, but I thought I should install and try opera. Well, it works very well. No rendering problems, and it seems very polished and faster than firefox.

What are your opinions about opera? It seems very robust and I think I will keep it as my default browser.

#2 2009-01-29 00:01:50

Ranguvar

Re: Opera and Firefox on KDE4.2

1.) Speed is dead even with Firefox 3.1 beta from what I can tell. RAM usage too.
2.) Closed-source.
3.) Lack of extensions, some of which I've grown dependent on.
4.) There is stuff to make Firefox mesh with KDE.

But it may be suitable for some people.

If I ever switch from Firefox, it'll be to a super-fast Webkit browser. Chrome for Linux when it's out sometime soon, or Midori. And, I know Kazehakese is working on Webkit...
Even with that, I'll still be wanting my favorite extensions first, most likely wink

Last edited by Ranguvar (2009-01-29 00:02:02)

#3 2009-01-29 00:13:54

lucke

I've always been a fan of Opera. I moved to Konqueror at some point, but it has a fair share of problems in KDE4, so I'm back at the Operaland.

On the other hand, I never really liked Firefox.

#4 2009-01-29 00:16:44

panosk

Ranguvar wrote:

1.) Speed is dead even with Firefox 3.1 beta from what I can tell. RAM usage too.

Sorry, I don't get it. You mean Firefox is slower and has higher RAM usage?

Extensions are indeed an issue because I am too addicted to some of them. smile

#5 2009-01-29 07:14:45

Rasi
Website

Opera is cool.. It's by far the most customizable browser out there. You can make it behave like vimperator with a custom keyboard file, you can create own buttons with your own functions, you can completely change its looks, because every panel with all that is on it, can be rearranged the way you want it. In addition to this its bloody fast and the inbuilt RSS reader and Email Client are kinda nice too (tho they need some getting used to, because they have a different paradigm)
It has an inbuilt urlfilter.ini that you can customize to your needs and Firefox' Stylish is nothing but a rip-off of opera's UserCSS. Bugs are normally solved very quickly too.

An example: i made myself a button, that, when i click it, will automatically open google bookmarks page and fill in the values of my last opened webpage...

On the other hand it doesnt have a plugin system. True enough. While most of firefox' extensions are nothing but useless. Who needs a full blown ftp client in the browser? Why embedding all kind of applications in firefox?
The most useful plugins (tabmix, adblock plus, vimperator, fire gestures) are just copies of opera functions. i have to admit tho that adblock plus is easier to handle than opera's urlfilter.ini.

All in all opera is a really nice browser that behaves just the way you set it up. Most ppl just dont get so far, because they dont even try to customize it.

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#6 2009-01-29 11:21:08

Ranguvar

panosk wrote:
Ranguvar wrote:

Err, no. Dead even = neck and neck.

http://ejohn.org/blog/javascript-performance-rundown/
http://www.thebrowserworld.com/2008/03/ … ning-test/
http://www.lnkr.net/archives/prem/techn … arison/394

Though Opera may indeed use less RAM, actually.

Last edited by Ranguvar (2009-01-29 11:24:09)

#7 2009-01-29 12:01:52

panosk

Ranguvar wrote:
panosk wrote:
Ranguvar wrote:

Err, no. Dead even = neck and neck.

LOL, my eyes just kept reading "Speed is dead, even with Firefox......." lol

Thanks for the links too smile

#8 2009-01-29 12:24:08

zyghom
Website

Rasi wrote:

Opera is cool.. It's by far the most customizable browser out there.

you are 100% right
but only if you compare to raw firefox, without extensions
otherwise... don't make such jokes :-)

Zygfryd Homonto

#9 2009-01-29 14:44:57

chair

Tabs are not rendered correctly and controls (drop-down lists, radio buttons, etc) inside web pages look weird with a a silver casting color.

What GTK style are you using? If it's gtk-qt then you can expect a lot of graphical issues, especially with Oxygen.

I'm using the QtCurve kde4 and gtk2 style, with the Silk preset. It's looks a bit like Oxygen but renders perfectly in Qt and GTK.

#10 2009-01-29 14:52:25

quarkup
Website

I am using opera (statically linked to Qt) and firefox, installed from yaourt.

Install gtk-qt-engine and qtcurve

then  configure it as you can read from the wiki - to use gtk apps with Qt (gimp, firefox and thunderbird - they will look like kde apps).

big_smile

If people do not believe that mathematics is simple, it is only because they do not realize how complicated life is.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

#11 2009-01-29 15:16:38

pointone
Wiki Admin

I notice none of those benchmarks tested a CURRENT version of Opera... Or even the new Opera 10 alpha (which has been nothing but stable for me).

Opera is the fastest browser I've used. Benchmarks mean nothing, really. I dare you to try it for yourself--then come back and talk about speed.

As far as extensions, Opera has much more built-in functionality than most other browsers; I've never felt a need for extensions.

Finally, Opera 10 is the first (only?) browser to score 100 on the Acid3 test, and Opera has always been one of the most standards-compliant browsers around.

The only downside is that Opera is closed-source. sad

M*cr*s*ft: Who needs quality when you have marketing?

#12 2009-01-29 19:15:04

1LordAnubis
Website

panosk wrote:

Hi all,

Firefox has it's quirks with KDE4. Tabs are not rendered correctly and controls (drop-down lists, radio buttons, etc) inside web pages look weird with a a silver casting color. Anyway, not a big deal, but I thought I should install and try opera. Well, it works very well. No rendering problems, and it seems very polished and faster than firefox.

What are your opinions about opera? It seems very robust and I think I will keep it as my default browser.

Well, the tab problem I found to be fixed when I commented an old hack to my xorg.conf for my nvidia graphics card: Option         "PixmapCacheSize" "300000"
(I'm using the 173 driver for a geforce 6800)

As far as your web pages go, I use the oxygen theme, and have my gtk theme adjusted accordingly; the gtk style kde4-oxygen in system settings makes firefox match your kde4 quite well. You can find this in aur, but kdemod-extragear-gtk-qt-engine-svn might work too.

Opera is a light/fast web browser that I find to be very nice; you don't get those strange gtk looks since opera actually has a qt build, but opera doesn't have as many add ons, and it is *closed source*<--reason i prefer firefox.

Last edited by 1LordAnubis (2009-01-29 19:16:14)

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
-Benjamin Franklin
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-George Bernard Shaw

#13 2009-01-29 19:24:33

panosk

Thank you all for your suggestions. I was sure I was already using qtcurve-gtk2, but no, I hadn't installed it. Now that I did, firefox (and openoffice) integrates nicely into KDE. No matter what, I like opera, so I will use both for the time being cool

#14 2009-01-30 05:32:57

doorknob60

I like Opera on Windows, but in Linux it never blends in well and Java doesn't work for me in x86_64. Konqueror is my current preferred browser. Konqueror 4.2 is great IMO, Flash and Java both work better than they have ever worked before. Using this guide can further improve Flash performance (did for me for sure): http://mikearthur.co.uk/2007/12/konquer … ash-howto/

Board footer