You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-29 14:02:10

moljac024

fcron help

So, I installed fcron on my laptop, replaced crond with fcron in rc.conf and edited my crontab like so:

$fcrontab -e

It opened up vi, so I pasted the following:

@lavg5(0.6),nice(10) 20 "/usr/local/bin/myscript.sh"

It didn't work. So I edited fcron.deny to say all and fcron.allow to say myusername. I then put my username in the cron group (I guess this was the major showstopper), restarted the fcron daemon and then it worked. My script was ran every 20 minutes.

But today when I booted up my laptop fcron just doesn't execute the script. So I manually restart the daemon, edit the crontab to say 02 to see if it works and it does now. So, I'm curios, why doesn't it work when I boot my laptop without restarting the daemon when my user is logged in ?

Following is my DAEMONS line from rc.conf if it means anything, maybe I should move fcron ?

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng !network hal httpd mysqld !acpid sensors !fancontrol !dhcdbd !networkmanager !wicd @netfs @samba
!crond fcron cpufreq avahi-daemon @laptop-mode @gpm @alsa !pulseaudio !xinetd)

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#2 2009-01-29 18:47:57

moljac024

Re: fcron help

Sorry to bump this, but this is really annoying. I've read the documentation a dozen times and I am not doing anything wrong.
I even tried putting the same cronjob in root's crontab and have it executed as my desired user but still, it won't work, fcron has to be started after the user has already logged in or no cronjobs will take place.

This really sucks...

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#3 2009-01-29 20:00:33

brisbin33
Website

edit: [removed cron syntax suggestions]

nevermind... didn't see your OP where you restart fcron and it runs... that means the cron syntax is fine obviously...

edit2: my only guess is you may get a different result by using

sudo fcrontab -u patrick -e

my user's fcrons were created that way and they run fine even tho the daemon is started before i log in

there must be some difference between the method's even though they edit the same crontab...

[ 14:59 ][ ~ ]
> fcrontab -e
15:03:56 fcrontab : editing patrick's fcrontab
Modifications will be taken into account at 15h05.
[ 15:03 ][ ~ ]
> sudo fcrontab -u patrick -e
Password:
15:04:04 fcrontab : editing patrick's fcrontab
Modifications will be taken into account right now.
[ 15:04 ][ ~ ]
>

i dunno...

Last edited by brisbin33 (2009-01-29 20:07:21)

#4 2009-01-29 22:52:56

moljac024

That doesn't work neither. I already tried it...
So, no one seems to have a clue at how I could get about to figuring this out ?
Where does fcron keep its logs ?

#5 2009-01-30 01:45:44

moljac024

Ok, now I see that the script does get run at the specified time interval but something is wrong, since it ends up just eating CPU cycles and ps shows it as <defunct>

Last edited by moljac024 (2009-01-30 01:48:03)

#6 2009-01-30 15:50:01

brisbin33
Website

moljac024 wrote:

Where does fcron keep its logs ?

for me, fcron logs to crond.log, errors.log (if applicable), and everything.log

Board footer