You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-29 15:14:39

zigiless
Website

Keyboard is not responding [SOLVED]

Hello, I'm running a 64-bit Arch system on the latest kernel. Today my keyboard suddenly stopped responding.
I restarted, and now the keyboard doesn't work at all while in a graphical environment:
While not in X, the keyboard works fine - In my windows installation, in the Grub menu, and in the GDM login screen.
However as soon Gnome starts, the keyboard stops responding (can't even control the NumLock/Caps/Scroll Lock lights).
If I log out I regain control of the keyboard until I decide to log back in. It's a standard PS/2 keyboard.
Any help will be greatly appreciated. smile

Last edited by zigiless (2009-01-30 14:03:01)

#2 2009-01-29 15:48:24

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: Keyboard is not responding [SOLVED]

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xor … server_1.5

I'm guessing that this is your problem. Either install xf86-input-evdev or disable hot plugging.

#3 2009-01-29 17:08:22

zigiless
Website

Hot plugging was never enabled on my system.
Unfortunately I don't have the slightest idea how to debug this problem, as it suddenly started out of nowhere, while I was in an X session.
I wanted to type something and suddenly realized my keyboard stopped responding.
Thanks for you help though.

#4 2009-01-29 19:43:48

ssl6

i've had my keyboard quit working on me in kde a couple times when the cats sat on it. had to wip/rename the .kde/.kde4 directories from my home folder. maybe the same applies to gnome?

this is a signature

#5 2009-01-30 01:48:40

pudgewacl

I did a new install the other day and had the same issue.  Once I started hal, everything worked fine.

Matt

#6 2009-01-30 14:01:31

zigiless
Website

Sigh...
I noticed I still had control of my keyboard in the first few seconds of the Gnome boot up.
This led met to look at keyboard related things that get started on boot, and sure enough, I found the problem.
I have somehow stumbled into the keyboard shortcut that enables the "Slow Keys" accessibility option, which makes keyboard presses register only if you hold the key down for a few seconds.
Can anyone please explain how such a thing can be useful to ANYONE? mad
Also, is it possible to disable the entire accessibility system in Gnome?
If not to prevent stuff like this, then to clear out an unneeded icon from the notification area.

Board footer