You are not logged in.

#26 2009-02-03 01:44:28

mutlu_inek

Re: Akonadi sets up search three times at Desktop

lilsirecho wrote:

My use of root is not necessarily bad practice.  I have five years of root.
[...]
Many problems in linux can only be solved in root.
[...]
There may be a way to enable root but most packages have to be modified in PKGBUILD format.

Kde may frown on such a thing.

I guess Linus Torvalds has it right about kde4.

That is simply not true. This is not an issue with KDE, but has to do with MySQL' security policy. You can read up on it in the MySQL documentation as is stated in the error report you posted. There are ways to run it as root, of course, but it is disabled by default since it is considered unsafe. And, it also has nothing to do with PKGBUILDs.

And, I do remember having this discussion, there is nothing that you can only solved as root. That's plain silly.

#27 2009-02-03 02:36:39

lilsirecho
Veteran

Perhaps I can be held in contempt but truthfully root does need to be employed "to solve problems" if the "problem" is one which requires root to perform(the "problem" being defined as not being able to do same as user).  Many setups have to be done by root.

Should I not use kde4, I would not have had any security "problem" since "mysql" would not be in my system. 

PKGBUILDS permit archers to modify the packages "as needed" to provide features( such as "root enable").  Therefore, since I have employed such procedure in the past, I made reference to PKGBUILDS as a means.

I appreciate your assistance and consider this matter to be closed

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#28 2009-02-05 03:16:57

mutlu_inek

I am truly sorry if I sounded harsh or unfriendly.

#29 2009-04-22 00:57:18

foolosophy

mutlu_inek wrote:

Has migration been removed from 4.2? I don't think so. (Just checked: no.) Maybe the file is created once the migration starts? You could try to do

kwriteconfig --file kres-migratorrc --group Migration --key Enabled --type bool false

Even if it doesn't do anything, it shouldn't harm (unless you want to migrate.) And it rules out that akonadi is run to migrate your data.

That little command solved my problems: every time I fired up Kopete, Akonadi would complain that it couldn't start.

Does Akonadi work for any of you? Does it do an index of Kopete's logs? Will I be able to do Strigi/Nepomuk search in my chat logs?

#30 2009-04-22 01:23:59

lilsirecho
Veteran

I suspect that my akonadi problem is caused by my operating only as root.........................

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

Board footer