You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-30 09:43:00

jarda-wien

thinkpad t41 dual monitor pivot

I have recently got a new monitor with pivot feature. I am not able to make it work so it is usable though...
I use arandr (xrandr frontend) for setting xorg, but as soon as I set the orientation of the secondary monitor to left (to use pivot), even moving windows around is slow as hell. Setting a lower resolution and/or color depth didn't help either. It almost seems as rotating the secondary screen eats all of my system ressources. Is there a way to make it work? The desired setup would be: laptop lcd normal, primary, 1024x768 + secondary lcd, pivoted, 1280x1024. Having both monitors aligned normally works absolutely fine, even when moving a glxgears window around.

Specs (thinkpad t41):
Pentium-M 1.6
1GiB RAM
Mobility Radeon 7500 (32MiB dedicated)
Openbox+latest Xorg, xorg.conf is pretty much default...

#2 2009-03-02 15:18:02

jarda-wien

Re: thinkpad t41 dual monitor pivot

it seems I have to respond myself to almost all of my questions on the forum lately LOL. Maybe I am not clearly expressing myself cool

Anyway, after talking to some people on IRC, I have found out that in order for rotation to work, I would need to enable the EXA acceleration method. Futhermore, there is a 2047x2047 texture size (virtual desktop size) limit for the radeon 7500 hardware acceleration. After messing with different settings, I finally gave up after finding a bug in xrandr which prevents me from using the requested mode correctly (see http://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=20083).

Board footer