You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-01 21:41:36

aurelius

KDM problem : config/hal problem - init: ld "x" respawning too fast

Hi. I just installed Arch and almost without problem. I tuned it to suit my needs and in the end I followed the Wicd guide, so as to have it when I log in to Arch. So, I did what it said, that is, i commented what had to do with network and stuff, and also in the daemon section I commented the network commands and the hal, because it is called from dbus. Actually, I reboot and the system worked fine, I am just telling these things, because they were the last major tweaking of my system.

After not doing anything for a couple of minutes, KDE froze. Then, I restarted my machine and during booting, it threw the messages:

cannot start KDM  (or sth like that)    [FATAL]

and then

INIT: cannot execute /usr/bin/kdm
INIT: ld "x" respawning too fast : disabled for 5 minutes

These messages are shown really quickly and then it goes to console mode.

The interesting thing with those messages is, that when I leave the computer idle for a couple of minutes, it keeps showing them. So, now that I am writing from a second computer, when I go there I am going to find 2-3 entries of those messages. So, they keep showing and showing.

Then I login from console mode and that what I can do.

So, I go to the /var/log/kdm.log, and the last logs are
blah blah Xorg.conf
EE: cannot load "type 1", there is no such module
EE: config/hal : couldn't initialize context : (null) (null))

The same config/hal log exists in Xorg.0.log as well.

In the start, I had two monitors, so the xorg.conf changed. However, because I had a similar problem when removing the other screen(not the laptop's tongue), I brought xorg.cong into its initial state, and the problem was gone. So, I don't think this is it now, because it is the same script, as the first time.

Do you have any idea, what is going on. I thing the most important is this ld "x" ....

#2 2009-02-07 10:48:32

aurelius

Re: KDM problem : config/hal problem - init: ld "x" respawning too fast

Finally, I reinstalled kdemod and worked.

Board footer