You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-01 22:43:57

dav7

Rather interesting sequence of events

PS: happy (although confusing) ending tongue

It starts out pretty nicely. I'm using my webcam and discover its cable is *just* too short to let the webcam sit on a particular PC's case. So I grab a nearby USB extension cable, yank the webcam out right while VLC is streaming it over HTTP (to nobody, at the time), and plug it back in in-line with the extension cable.

It doesn't work.

Confused, I try various things in VLC as well as taking the extension cable out of the connection in case it was at fault. Nope.

O.o. Eh, whatever. So I give up for a while. In the end, curiosity wins out.

dmesg keeps spouting something along the lines of "CPU temperature/speed normal." At some point I randomly decide to open htop to see what might be going on, since it mentions my CPU. And I discover... khubd is using 100% CPU. O.o?!

killall -9 and killing from inside htop don't work, pretty obviously. So I reboot.

Then it gets fun on top of interesting.

I decide that if I'm gonna reboot I'll make GRUB stop counting down so I have time to plug the extension lead back in before Linux sees any of it. Fairly alright plan except, well, the PC happens to POST and... doesn't do anything else. So I have to use the hold-the-power-button trick to get my box to do anything.

So by now I'm a little confused and worried. I plug the webcam back in via the extension lead, and this time, GRUB crashes at "GRUB loading, please wait...". Now I'm *really* concerned, although I have a theory: GRUB and/or my PC don't like booting after having been subjected to about half an hour of having kernel services going haywire, so a bit of a cool-down might help.

At any rate I unplug the whole webcam, and what do you know, GRUB works this time. Determined not to be beaten by conspiracy-grade pure oddness/craziness, I plug the webcam back in, and... GRUB boots fine. Weird.

So I boot everything up, and the webcam works as it did before.

O.o?

O.o.

*hopes that khubd doesn't randomly go OHAI *splat* in future*

-dav7

Windows was made for looking at success from a distance through a wall of oversimplicity. Linux removes the wall, so you can just walk up to success and make it your own.
--
Reinventing the wheel is fun. You get to redefine pi.

#2 2009-02-02 00:21:51

kludge

Re: Rather interesting sequence of events

gremlins.  it's gotta be gremlins.

[23:00:16]    dr_kludge | i want to invent an olfactory human-computer interface, integrate it into the web standards, then produce my own forked browser.
[23:00:32]    dr_kludge | can you guess what i'd call it?
[23:01:16]    dr_kludge | nosilla.
[23:01:32]    dr_kludge | i really should be going to bed.  i'm giggling madly about that.

#3 2009-02-02 01:16:47

moljac024

I'm leaning more towards gnomes myself...

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#4 2009-02-02 01:53:00

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Is this your webcam?

hal.jpg

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#5 2009-02-02 04:23:04

rok3

My bet would be on this.

cameraheadoh9.th.jpg

#6 2009-02-02 10:02:09

dav7

Unfortunately not. sad

It's a

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 046d:08ad Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Communicate STX

tongue

-dav7

Windows was made for looking at success from a distance through a wall of oversimplicity. Linux removes the wall, so you can just walk up to success and make it your own.
--
Reinventing the wheel is fun. You get to redefine pi.

#7 2009-02-02 13:17:06

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

My new notebook seems to go a little haywire if I boot from the usb and then reboot to usb again .... if I turn it off and do a cold boot and boot from usb all is well .... gremlins or goblins I have no clue, probably just a flaky bios.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

Board footer