You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-02 17:02:09

Zakuro

Audigy SE misbehaving, working with live CDs

I've got a Creative Audigy SE card (ca0106) that I can't seem to get up and running no matter what I do. Granted, this might just be due to me not being too good at it.

After some looking around I've noticed that even though alsamixer correctly identifies my card (while reporting no chip), it doesn't give me access to neither master nor pcm channels.

I then recalled that during my Linux debut (on Ubuntu Hardy) I did have sound, albeit only stereo, so I dug out a live cd of Ubuntu (intrepid), and lo and behold, there is audio. Alsamixer now shows me only the master channel, and says it's using PulseAudio card and chip both. Checking /proc/asound/cards shows me card #1 being ca0106, identified and all. This it does in my Arch as well (as #0 - so unless I murdered its config, it should default to #0, right?) - but still will not give me output.

Is my problem ALSA config related? And if so, could I magically transfer whatever config is being used by this live cd to my Arch install?

EDIT:
I apologize for the lack of logs and command outputs. The reason being I simply don't know enough about it to post the relevant ones right off the bat.

EDIT2:
I've done some searching and installed (and hopefully correctly configured) PulseAudio. It's volume meters do, just like "aplay -vv" does, show that something's indeed playing through the device, but I'm still getting no sound. Am I missing something very obvious?

Last edited by Zakuro (2009-02-04 05:50:06)

#2 2009-02-04 18:19:05

FrozenFox
Website

Re: Audigy SE misbehaving, working with live CDs

EDIT: Nvm. Sorry. Must learn2read posts.

Though, out of curiosity, do you have another sound device -- not a sound card per se, but something that can be picked up as one? Such as a tv tuner?

Last edited by FrozenFox (2009-02-04 18:22:08)

#3 2009-02-05 06:40:05

Zakuro

Re: Audigy SE misbehaving, working with live CDs

Haha, no sweat! smile

I'm afraid I don't. I'm gonna stop by a second hand parts store to see if I can't pick up something cheap, with a chip better suited for linux, unless I can get the c0106 working.
Feeling a bit dumbstruck though, since pulse is, apparently, playing nice with ALSA, showing output, without actually letting me hear any of it.

Board footer