You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-03 02:06:21

marciorp
Website

swapfile on vfat part hangs swapon

I used to use a windows' pagefile.sys that resided on a fat partition at the begin of my hd as a swapfile in arch. I just had mkswap and swapon into /etc/rc.local. It worked perfectly and made my setup much more pleasant. Unhappily, a few days ago it stopped working.

The first time my system simply hang on boot, after the mkswap message. After commenting out the swap commands in rc.local i was able to boot again. Then i tried to execute the commands manually, mkswap was OK but swapon hang. I couldn't even ctrl-C it. The xterm where i was using it was rendered useless. But nothing else on the system seemed to have slowed down. I tried opening another xterm, and then i tried killing the swapon process but it did not work, no matter how much i tried.

I could not find anything in the log files that seemed relevant to the issue, but maybe i do not know where to look.

On the other hand, creating a swapfile on my root partition worked OK. So i am using this for the moment, but really wish i could come back to my vfat setup...

I do not know when or why the problem appeared, but it seems to have been after a kernel upgrade. I am considering trying to downgrade the kernel.

Any suggestions?

----
Marcio

#2 2009-02-03 06:57:54

darthaxul

Re: swapfile on vfat part hangs swapon

maybe the vfat modules isnt loading, or the partition isnt in the correct location anymore because u changed ur disk partitions?

#3 2009-02-03 18:19:28

marciorp
Website

Nope, the module is correctly loaded as another vfat partition can be accessed without problems, and actually the partition where pagefile.sys resides can, also: i did rm the pagefile and dd'ed a zero-filled file upon it, but to no avail...

Also, no changes in partitioning whatsoever....

:-(

----
Marcio

#4 2009-02-07 01:01:50

marciorp
Website

So, i downgraded the kernel and the swapfile works again. I then protected kernel26 and madwifi from upgrading in my pacman.conf. Guess this not ideal, but will work for a time. What gives? Is that a regression upstream? If so, what is the right way to report it? Or i shouldn't care?

----
Marcio

Board footer