You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-04 13:28:27

xen

Partitioning advice

Hey guys,

I'm planning to add a new drive to my system so I'll have 1.2TB of space to play around with. I would like my 2 drives to appear as one large available space, RAID?

Anyway, I'm not sure of the best way to partition the available space. I will need to dual boot Windows and Arch. I currently have about 60GB of music, and I want plenty of space for Windows for games and such (I also use Windows for university programming assignments when Linux is not an option). My current scheme looks like this:

128MB ext2 /boot
20GB ext4 /
160GB ext4 /home

I keep my music currently in my home partition, but isn't accessible in Windows due to ext4. This time around I forgot to make a swap partition because I ran out of available partitions (logical) but I'm planning to start from scratch. I would like to re-arrange everything for best performance - I know that some people have separate partitions for /var.

So: I'm looking for partition size advice, and also what fileystem to use. Remember the total space available will be about 1.2TB.

A wannabe game-developer.
My Blog
My GitHub

#2 2009-02-04 15:43:19

quarkup
Website

Re: Partitioning advice

there is a tool to access ext2 and ext3 partitions under windows. For ext4 I don't know.

If people do not believe that mathematics is simple, it is only because they do not realize how complicated life is.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

#3 2009-02-05 18:26:24

samuraitux
Website

Re: Partitioning advice

I would create a primary partition with ext3 for /boot with about 100mb then an LVM for where you would have one maybe for swap (x1.5 ram) then about 30gb or 40gb for / and 200gb /home then 100gb or 200gb for windows.  With LVM if you run out of space you can always add or extend your current size.  I would use JFS for both / and /home. Since it creates inodes on the fly. But if you know you won't have several small files then I would use reiserfs.

<include stdio.h>
<include beer.h>
if (beer != 0) {  KeepDrinking(); }else { MoreBeer("18pack"); }

Board footer