You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-05 04:10:57

hank863

Giving back to the community. [SOLVED]

I am a huge fan of Arch and absolutely love the community. I've recently felt compelled to give back to the community that has given me so much.  I've been trying to think of things I could do to give back.  I can program fairly well bit I am far from an expert.  One question that has been on my mind is one about whether or not I could open an official Arch mirror.  Could I do it?  I'm not sure how or even if I could make it happen but I love the idea.  So, any information on that or other ways I could help out, please tell me.  I'd rather not just give a monetary donation and I'm looking for more specific information than just what's on the wiki about giving back.  Thank you.

Last edited by hank863 (2009-02-07 17:56:49)

#2 2009-02-05 04:55:30

dolby

Re: Giving back to the community. [SOLVED]

I would go with the code. Theres many Arch specific tools. Pacman, mkinitcpio, initscripts,namcap etc. http://projects.archlinux.org/

Last edited by dolby (2009-02-05 04:56:50)

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#3 2009-02-05 05:38:04

dav7

There are a few ways:

- Work on the wiki, if you like writing documentation for distros.
- Improve Arch's system utilities - just wander around in the bugtracker until you find something unassigned that looks like something you could tackle.
- Write random utilities like I have and throw them in Community Contributions

If you want to open your own mirror, you basically just need good bandwidth, both up and down, and either an uncapped link or a very expansive cap. From there, the mirror maintainers probably have a set of scripts set up to keep all the mirrors in sync.

-dav7

Windows was made for looking at success from a distance through a wall of oversimplicity. Linux removes the wall, so you can just walk up to success and make it your own.
--
Reinventing the wheel is fun. You get to redefine pi.

#4 2009-02-06 04:04:55

hank863

Thank you very much for your responses.  I guess running a mirror would be biting off a bit more than I could chew right now.  I will definitely keep the idea in the back of my mind.  I'll probably add to the wiki and look into helping with the development of Arch tools.  Thanks again.

Board footer