You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-05 20:06:52

kludge

help using kernel git branches

so i recently got notice from the alsa bugtracker that a for suspend/resume on my soundcard was merged into takashi iwai's sound-unstable branch.  i'd like to try this out, but i'm a complete git noob.  in fact, i have 0 experience with any code management system.

it's my understanding that i can use git to selectively patch my kernel source, i.e.: i could merge *just* takashi's sound-unstable changes into my already-customized kernel sources.  however, all the git how-tos i've read fall into the "if you can understand it, you don't need to read it" school of documentation, and the git-based pkgbuilds i've looked at don't clarify matters much.

could anyone point me to or provide a "git for idiots" or a "managing local kernel sources for dummies" guide?

thanks, y'all!

[23:00:16]    dr_kludge | i want to invent an olfactory human-computer interface, integrate it into the web standards, then produce my own forked browser.
[23:00:32]    dr_kludge | can you guess what i'd call it?
[23:01:16]    dr_kludge | nosilla.
[23:01:32]    dr_kludge | i really should be going to bed.  i'm giggling madly about that.

Board footer