You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-06 12:15:33

jricks

I`m confused about the installation steps

Hi,

First a warning: This may seem really stupid! roll "used to point n click installs" = bloated

i want to install Arch Linux, and after reading the guides, i`m confused on how to start. My machine is a Thinkpad T41 http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IBM_Thinkpad_T41 . "the typical one"

So far all i understood is to begin with the normal install that will do a base system http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Off … tall_Guide.

But how do i continue, is where i`m stuck! I need help in procedure. Kindly list which is first then second and so on:

* Xorg

* T41 patches modules drivers

* Desktop Enviroment

* anything else i forgot to mention

any other tips on this specific machine will be wonderfull

P.S i downloaded the core iso but i read it's better to download the ftp iso because of the updates "on core" after the install, True or i shouldn't bother about it??

cheers

#2 2009-02-06 12:41:24

moonfish

Re: I`m confused about the installation steps

After the base installation the order I'd take is:
- T41 patches, modules, drivers in case there are problems with devices not to be recognised. I don't know about the T41 support in Arch, but I'm quite sure it should work out of the box without the need to install further patches or drivers.
- the X11 system (xorg), because without that you won't be able to use a desktop environment.
- KDE/Gnome/XFCE.....the Desktop environment of your choice.
- everything else

#3 2009-02-06 13:44:23

Runiq

Did you read the Beginner's Guide? Everything should be covered in there.

EDIT: About the ftp/core thing: If you have an ethernet connection or if your WLAN works out of the box, the ftp installation usually is the better choice since you don't have to do a huge update afterwards. (You can, by the way, also do an ftp installation with the core isos/imgs.) Saves you time and possible headaches, but it can be a bit tricky to get WLAN to do what you want it to do without a running system to back you up. wink

Last edited by Runiq (2009-02-06 13:48:29)

#4 2009-02-06 14:17:19

koch

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

have a look there. it is a good link for every thinkpad user with linux.
you may find some stuff there. i did. smile
do a forum search to for "t41" or "thinkpad".
my t42 works great with openbox. pretty fast compared to the win xp that's on another partition.

#5 2009-02-06 19:35:28

toad
Website

I've got a T41 and put ArchLinux on it. Worked a treat. If my memory serves me well I did it pretty much by the book (only my second Arch install).

base install
xorg
kde
further customisations

But there is no predefined order. You can quite happily install kde first rather than xorg. It won't run, but it doesn't do any harm smile

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

#6 2009-02-06 20:16:49

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

load up hwd that will sort X .... then add kde away you go...

yes read guide it will get up and running in no time...

Mr Green

#7 2009-02-06 21:56:21

jricks

Ok i get now

so basicly after the Base Install first it doesn't really matter the order i choose to install the rest. Seems the better way is Xorg --->DE --->Drivers and stuff through the desktop enviroment " wich a prefer so i don't panic that much"

i just read the beginners guide and it explains more than the regular guide , i may prefer to go with the regular guide as too much explanation can be confusing for me !

Thanks alot guys, really helpfull

cheers

#8 2009-02-09 01:11:58

TBomBM3879

Basically I go like this:

Base System > Choose Mirrors & Sync > Update > Reboot (kernel upgrade) > Xorg & Drivers > DE > Programs

Board footer