You are not logged in.

#1 2004-08-30 10:34:43

lanrat

gmailfs - google mail file system (seriously)

Ok. I'm not going to build it (someone with python packages experience could probably do it easly) and I don't even have gmail account. Sooner or later someone would post a reqest for this package, so then why not me? :-)

http://richard.jones.name/google-hacks/ … ystem.html

Description:

GmailFS provides a mountable Linux filesystem which uses your Gmail account as its storage medium. GmailFS is a Python application and uses the FUSE userland filesystem infrastructure to help provide the filesystem, and libgmail to communicate with Gmail.

GmailFS supports most file operations such as read, write, open, close, stat, symlink, link, unlink, truncate and rename. This means that you can use all your favourite unix command line tools to operate on files stored on Gmail (e.g. cp, ls, mv, rm, ln, grep etc. etc.).

And a screenshot of firefox launched from gmailfs http://richard.jones.name/google-hacks/ … -large.gif

At first it looks like a toy application but consider using it as mobile storage "device" whch you don't even have to carry with you  lol
Interesting...

#2 2004-08-30 13:01:03

IceRAM
Website

Re: gmailfs - google mail file system (seriously)

Edited:
1. Thanks for pointing this out - good developer knowledge: building a python file system on top of Linux
2. It's fairly easy to make the PKGBUILDs & it works under ArchLinux
3. I won't publish the PKGBUILDs.

Note: it is kind of slow for my connection, but I wouldn't expect it to move faster because browsing GMail is also slow.

#3 2004-08-30 16:10:03

Lovechild

Please respect Google and don't abuse the service using this - it's not sanctioned by Google - friends of mine have been banned from the service trying it out.

The use of GMail in this fasion is immoral and unethical.. would you use ArchLinux incoming as your personal backup center, or a Warez FTP?

I'm proud to be a a freedomloving infidel piece of treehugging eurotrash.

#4 2004-08-30 17:33:33

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

does seem a bit cheeky!

#5 2004-08-30 17:52:20

IceRAM
Website

@Lovechild: you are right
Note: archlinux/incoming is not users' (e-mail-)boxes, it is a small difference

Users' against-arguments:
1. HDD space is cheap (& fast etc.)
2. USB sticks were invented
Users' pro-aguments: hmm.. givent users/1 -> NONE.

Developers' against-arguments - see users/1
Developers' pro-agument:
1. It's great research work for somebody studying Python (like me) for example & the inner workings of the Linux file systems.

Therefore, since the PKGBUILDs are useful only for the Devs, I won't share them because it's in the dev's advantage to figure them out.

#6 2004-08-30 19:20:39

peschmae

Lovechild wrote:

Please respect Google and don't abuse the service using this - it's not sanctioned by Google - friends of mine have been banned from the service trying it out.

The use of GMail in this fasion is immoral and unethical.. would you use ArchLinux incoming as your personal backup center, or a Warez FTP?

Well, I don't see it that serious. Google offers 1 GB storage - they _should_ expect People to use this if the already offer it smile

Anyway: GMX offers 1 GB for free as well - and you get Webdav Access to your space (works really nice with Konqueror) for storing your files there. Officially - no problems. smile
(Even though if people really start using their space they might rething this wink)

Peschmä

#7 2004-08-30 19:35:06

lanrat

@Lovechild:
Thanks for the info. I didn't know it's against google rules. It's one of the strangest ideas I've read about recently and that's why I posted it.
The idea itself (programming devices in python, using internet as storage, etc.) is still interesting.

@IceRAM:
In these circumstances it's a good decision.

@peschmae
Good to know there are other solutions. If it only could be used as mounted partition on usb stick without kde stuff.... roll

#8 2004-08-30 20:00:05

Egil.B

I just found out why gmailnotifier didn't work anymore. The gmail-login now require that a human being is doing the login. I guess gmailfs is useless as well. Lets hope that they have done it to stop spambots from abusing gmail when it goes official, and not to stop us from using fine tools such as gmailnotifier.  :?

#9 2004-08-30 20:22:54

delmonico

Tip: You don't really have to abuse GMail: The german Free-Mail-Provider GMX offers 1 GByte of Storage which can be accessed via WebDAV and therefore mounted on linux using davfs2... I don't know if they have a english homepage though...

#10 2004-08-31 07:28:39

dp
Website

peschmae wrote:

Anyway: GMX offers 1 GB for free as well - and you get Webdav Access to your space (works really nice with Konqueror) for storing your files there. Officially - no problems. smile
(Even though if people really start using their space they might rething this wink)

Peschmä

wie? ich benutze konqueror und habe ein gratis gmx account - nur finde ich auf der gmx-website keine infos über webdav - thx in advance :-)

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#11 2004-08-31 17:59:16

delmonico

dp wrote:
peschmae wrote:

Peschmä

wie? ich benutze konqueror und habe ein gratis gmx account - nur finde ich auf der gmx-website keine infos über webdav - thx in advance :-)

webdav://mediacenter.gmx.net

#12 2004-08-31 20:27:47

Egil.B

Sprechen Sie English bitte, weil ich kleine Deutsch kann. wink

#13 2004-08-31 20:51:55

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Yeah - play fair guys - i followed all that ok but it was struggle!

#14 2004-08-31 22:08:51

dp
Website

Egil.B wrote:

Sprechen Sie English bitte, weil ich kleine Deutsch kann. wink

i'm very sorry - i just asked how you do it, as i had no idea that webdav is actually available for gmx, and i use it for about 3 years - a german "wie?" is (for someone speaking german - resp. at least for me) much "harder" respectively more emotional than "how?", so i reacted out of the stomach than out of head  :oops:

the answer explained:

- open konqueror
- go to url webdav://mediacenter.gmx.net/
- user=email@gmx.{ch,de,net} pass=yourpass

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#15 2004-08-31 22:52:06

Egil.B

Kein Problem. In fact, I understood the german post after I read through it. I usually just give up on anything german. Enough OT from me anyway. wink

#16 2004-08-31 23:01:25

delmonico

And if you don't already know: There are much more of this usefule I/O-Slaves in konqueror, e.g. fish:// and sftp:// to access files using ssh, smb:// to access MS Windows shared folders, man:// to get nice looking manpages and so on smile

Board footer