You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-07 05:13:06

CursedMonkey

[SOLVED] Kernel oops on boot

I decided to compile a custom kernel by changing the config file from the stock kernel in ABS. I made sure to preserve my working kernel image so I could still boot with it. However after rebooting it with the new kernel I got a kernel oops message, and I tried to run it with the old kernel image and it still gave me the same error.

I had an old Ubuntu live cd and I can boot with that, but I can only see my boot partition because the other partitions are formatted as ext4.

My computer is partitioned as such:

sda1   /boot   ext2
sda2   swap
sda3   /       ext4
sda4   /home   ext4

Can someone send me a copy of their boot folder with a kernel that supports ext4? I think that would be the easiest way to get my computer working quickly. I can edit the grub menu settings to match my computer.

SOLUTION
======================
I managed to fix it by getting an arch live cd and using ext4dev to mount the other partitions and reinstall the kernel26 package.

Last edited by CursedMonkey (2009-02-07 17:21:46)

#2 2009-02-07 18:12:10

methuselah

Re: [SOLVED] Kernel oops on boot

If you want to make a parallel kernel that you can install along with your default kernel26 I made this AUR package: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=23467

That way all you have to do is run "makepkg" and then customize your kernel in the ncurses make menuconfig.

Board footer