You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-08 03:27:17

Polygon

Various problems =)

Hi, i'm new, after like...2 weeks of on and off configuring and hair pulling i finally showed my laptop who is boss and now arch linux is in a usable state smile

anyway, here are some nagging problems that i could use advice in fixing

1) how do i make cpufreq_conservative the default governor? ive tried editing that config file (i think /etc/conf.d/cpufreq or something, i forget the name at the moment) and every time i reboot, it just resets to "performance". I'm also using gnome, but i am unsure of how to make gnome-power-management set that as the default either

2) how do i get spell checking in things like xchat, firefox and pidgin working? i've installed gtkspell and aspell but even with those installed, i still get red squigglily lines under every word. and in firefox it just doesnt spell check at all.

3) when someone sends me a message on pidgin, it is supposed to flash the taskbar entry (the bar on the bottom) for the conversation window, but in arch linux, it doesn't for some reason. ive tried enabling the message notification plugin in pidgin, but it doesn't seem to work.

4):  again with a cpufreq question, which governor is better for laptops, cpufreq_conservatve or cpufreq_ondemand?

thanks smile

#2 2009-02-08 03:30:13

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: Various problems =)

Welcome to the forums.

For #2, it comes in two parts. aspell needs dictionaries. So if you want English, install aspell-en along with aspell.

For Firefox, right click on any text area like the one that I'm writing in now, go to Languages, and Add Dictionaries.

#3 2009-02-08 03:31:10

Ghost1227
Forum Fellow
Website

Polygon wrote:

2) how do i get spell checking in things like xchat, firefox and pidgin working? i've installed gtkspell and aspell but even with those installed, i still get red squigglily lines under every word. and in firefox it just doesnt spell check at all.

aspell requires a dictionary to be installed...

pacman -S aspell-en

replace -en with your preferred language.

Wish I could help more, but as I use neither a laptop nor GNOME, and I rarely play much with cpufreq... I'm at a bit of a loss... I'll let you know if I come up with anything though. Welcome aboard!

.:[My Blog] || [My GitHub]:.

#4 2009-02-08 03:51:16

Polygon

Cool! so now i have #2 solved, thanks guys smile

Also, i'm wanting to use compiz, since im used to it and frankly without some sort of compositing a lot of things look ugly (flashing when stuff closes, etc) so i tried to follow the wiki article for compiz down to the letter, but all that does is just gets rid of the titlebar (with the close/minimize buttons).....am i doing something wrong? i have a nvidia integrated videocard and i ran the command that the wiki told me to.

#5 2009-02-08 09:29:36

Laurent

You need compiz-manager

pacman -Sy compiz-manager

And then tick window border/decoration or something similar (in compiz manager)

#6 2009-02-08 14:51:08

pointone
Wiki Admin

1) Are you loading the cpufreq daemon at boot?

4) conservative is more "conservative" than ondemand. The two are similar, but I use conservative on my laptop.

M*cr*s*ft: Who needs quality when you have marketing?

#7 2009-02-08 15:13:56

Polygon

pointone: yeah im loading the daemon on boot, but it always uses the 'performance' governor by default. I switch to conservative using the cpu frequency applet but sometimes i forget, which is why i want to know how to make conservative the default smile

#8 2009-02-08 15:33:54

bgc1954

1) Have you tried following reccommendations in: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SpeedStep
You should be able to set your preference in /etc/conf.d/cpufreq

For compiz with nvidia card, i think you have to add Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "On" to the Device section of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.  It used to be in the nvidia wiki, iirc, but I can't see it there now?

Last edited by bgc1954 (2009-02-08 15:34:39)

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#9 2009-02-09 00:54:37

Polygon

bgc1954 wrote:

1) Have you tried following reccommendations in: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SpeedStep
You should be able to set your preference in /etc/conf.d/cpufreq

For compiz with nvidia card, i think you have to add Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "On" to the Device section of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.  It used to be in the nvidia wiki, iirc, but I can't see it there now?

i tried editing my cpufreq config file already:

#configuration for cpufreq control

# valid governors:
#  ondemand, performance, powersave,
#  conservative, userspace
governor="conservative"

# valid suffixes: Hz, kHz (default), MHz, GHz, THz
min_freq="800MHz"
max_freq="2GHz"

and it still defaults to performance every time i restart.

ill try the compiz thing in a bit

#10 2009-02-09 02:22:04

Honken

Hiya, do you load the required modules at boot? Without them my cpufreq daemon will not function.

#11 2009-02-09 02:34:06

Polygon

yes i have cpufreq and cpufreq_conservative in my /etc/rc.conf in the modules section, its just that its not setting conservative as the default (i can manually set it using the cpu fequency applet in gnome)

#12 2009-02-09 02:56:06

kjon

polygon, let me recommend you something: is acpi-cpufreq loaded?. On my core2duo **I need** that module for proper speedstepping. Mod-autoload is kinda stupid when loading cpufreq related modules. (Probably is by design tongue).

They say that if you play a Win cd backward you hear satanic messages. That's nothing! 'cause if you play it forwards, it installs windows.

Board footer