You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-08 22:32:44

vertana

Trying to find a digital clock to display Unix Time... (KDE 4.2)

The default digital clock doesn't seem to be able to display Unix Time. I remember being able to simply right click the default clock widget in Kde 3.5.x and having the ability to switch between a 12 hour, 24 hour, binary time, and Unix time clock on the fly and with one 'widget'. Does anybody know of a way to simply change the digital clock in KDE 4.2 over to Unix time or at least have a widget that does this? I can't seem to find anything... anywhere really. Any help in pointing me to the right option or widget is greatly appreciated. (Going off topic here, but why so many 'clock' widgets? Why not just one that would have the option to be displayed digitally or analog? Same question but with a 12/24/binary/unix time display?)

#2 2009-02-08 23:27:38

Mogger
Website

Re: Trying to find a digital clock to display Unix Time... (KDE 4.2)

They've decided to go this way in KDE4. Instead of one 'ultimate' clock widget, they have several different clocks. Instead of one menu, there're currently three to choose from. I don't know why they choose this way, but I like it: simpler configuration dialogs, probably easier to maintain the widgets. You just have to add what you want.

If you want to show Unix Time, you can try this clock. As for 12/24 h, it follows your settings (System Settings -> Regional & Language -> (Country/Region & Language) -> Time & Dates). There's a binary clock in kdeplasma-addons I think.

EDIT: I forget to say: if you want to make a new clock, you don't have to start from scratch. Plasma has something called DataEngines, read more about it in Techbase or Aaron's blog.

Last edited by Mogger (2009-02-08 23:31:36)

#3 2009-02-09 00:34:38

vertana

Thank you very much! I will play around with the clock you pointed too, but I may also have to make my own. I've never tried to make a widget, but this is a good opportunity to start. I'll play around with one 'ultimate' clock and a seperate Unix Time clock. I like the fact there are seperate menus (I'm currently partial to Lancelot), but as for all these seperate clocks, I've yet to figure this out (Perhaps, they chose to sacrifice a little disk space as opposed to a little overhead?). I'll see what I can come up with and hopefully have it up on kde-look. Once again, thanks ^^

#4 2009-03-17 15:53:00

timm

I can't seem to find the System Settings - Regional stuff on the KDE4 menu anywhere.

Never mind; they are under Computer, not Applications

Last edited by timm (2009-03-17 15:56:12)

Board footer