You are not logged in.

#26 2009-02-10 03:32:24

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Re: First Arch Install - A couple of questions

Dethredic wrote:

Good to know. Another thing:
I installed skype, and I have my creative driver installed.
In skype people can't hear me but I can hear them. Everything in alsamixer is at 71 (didn't see a mic boost).

Any ideas?

Alsamixer has 3 views, playback, capture and all. Did you change to playback with tab and adjust the input there? Make sure that you hit the spacebar when you've selected the mic to turn capturing mode on.

One other thing. More and more of your questions now are easily googlable. Part of the Arch experience is figuring things out for yourself and learning about your new system as you go. Asking for help when you really get stuck is fine, but don't fall into the habit of asking everything you can think of before you've made some effort to find the answers on your own (a clear example: the question about scrolling with the middle mouse button in firefox was very easy to find on google). That's the path to becoming a help vampire.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#27 2009-02-10 04:03:09

Dethredic
Website

Xyne wrote:
Dethredic wrote:

Good to know. Another thing:
I installed skype, and I have my creative driver installed.
In skype people can't hear me but I can hear them. Everything in alsamixer is at 71 (didn't see a mic boost).

Any ideas?

Alsamixer has 3 views, playback, capture and all. Did you change to playback with tab and adjust the input there? Make sure that you hit the spacebar when you've selected the mic to turn capturing mode on.

One other thing. More and more of your questions now are easily googlable. Part of the Arch experience is figuring things out for yourself and learning about your new system as you go. Asking for help when you really get stuck is fine, but don't fall into the habit of asking everything you can think of before you've made some effort to find the answers on your own (a clear example: the question about scrolling with the middle mouse button in firefox was very easy to find on google). That's the path to becoming a help vampire.

Good point.

@ the mic thing, I didn't have it set to capture mode.

Last edited by Dethredic (2009-02-10 04:21:39)

#28 2009-02-11 14:51:32

p0ft

Everytime you try to instal a new program, daemon, driver or anything seek on wikis about it. You'll probably find guides and examples about how to install it.
arch wiki, gentoo wiki, ubuntu wiki are good sources for information (as their forums are too).

Unless you don't mind a lot of gnome dependencies, I think you should try some other options before Nautilus.  Thunar, XFE, PCManFM, Rox File Manager are good GTK based options. Try to choose your applications wise, to not load up your system with a plethora of libs.

If you really want a 3D desktop experience you should try compiz-fusion as a WM alone. Loaded up with trayer, tint2, emerald and compiz-deskmenu it can be as beauty and functional as *box WMs are, but not so lightweight (but still waaaaaaaay lighter than most solutions out there).

:: i wanna see movies of my dreams

#29 2009-02-11 21:00:59

adamlau

Definitely Thunar over Nautilus. PCMan is great, but I have to have customizeable UCAs sad .

Arch Linux + sway
Debian Testing + GNOME/sway
NetBSD 64-bit + Xfce

#30 2009-02-11 22:17:54

Xiong Chiamiov
Website

Dethredic wrote:

One thing, it only comes out my left and right speaker and I have 5.1 speakers. Can I make the sound play out of all of them?

If you're still having this problem, you might try looking at the rightmost setting in alsamixer.  The options differ depending on your specific card, but for me, that's where I can choose between 2.1 and 5.1.

#31 2009-04-14 14:34:02

milomouse
Website

Not sure if this is still an issue but thought I'd throw it out there anyway.. the middle-click scrolling in Firefox should be in "Preferences" > "Advanced", and under the "General" tab, select "Use autoscrolling".

Board footer