You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-09 22:21:25

Dethredic
Website

First Arch Install - A couple of questions

So, I just installed successfully for the first time (almost). I am embracing openbox and enjoying it so far.

Question 1:
I followed the beginner install wiki. There was instructions on settup up alsa, but when it told me to do the command to get the test noise I didn't hear anything. I assume this means that it didn't work. I do have onboard sound, but I also have a Creative Sound Blaster XtremeGamer. I would like to use that. I downloaded the driver from their site, but I have yet to install it. Do I need alsa for it to work?

Question 2:
Are there any desktop effects other than Xcompmgr? I used it and I hardly notice the difference. Just some simple fades on minimize, maybe transparency while dragging and a cube for desktop switching.

Question 3:
I have a logitech G5 mouse. It has two side buttons as well as side to side on the scroll wheel. I have keyboard assignments i would like to assign to all these buttons. What is the best way to do this?

Question 4:
In the right click menu in openbox, what are the commands for lock, log out, restart, shutdown?

Question 5:
Does Java not work for x86_64? I followed the instructions on the wiki page. If not that is a huge problem.
Java is working.

Question 6:
Is there an extracting program (for gui (thunar)) that will add "Extract here" to the right click menu? (when right clicking a compressed file).

Question 7:
I have just decided that I l like nautilus better than thunar. I installed nautilus, but when I run it with the command: "nautilus" it opens a small window, with none of the decorations / options that I like. It also changes my desktop background...
nvm I will stick with thunar or pcmanfm
more to come soon...

Last edited by Dethredic (2009-02-10 00:35:18)

#2 2009-02-09 22:38:57

Statix

Re: First Arch Install - A couple of questions

Dethredic wrote:

Question 2:
Are there any desktop effects other than Xcompmgr? I used it and I hardly notice the difference. Just some simple fades on minimize, maybe transparency while dragging and a cube for desktop switching.

For openbox, no. Compiz and openbox don't get along well. You can run compiz-fusion as a standalone window manager though. (This leaves you missing openbox's right click menu and hotkeys, so you'll need separate programs as alternatives.)

Question 3:
I have a logitech G5 mouse. It has two side buttons as well as side to side on the scroll wheel. I have keyboard assignments i would like to assign to all these buttons. What is the best way to do this?

Check out btnx in the aur.
See:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Get … ns_Working
for a simpler setup.

Question 4:
In the right click menu in openbox, what are the commands for lock, log out, restart, shutdown?

To lock you'll need to run xscreensaver.
See:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xscreensaver

Logging out depends on which login manager you're using, if anything at all. If you want to kill X to logout just run pkill X.

Restart: reboot or shutdown -r now
Shutdown: halt or shutdown -h now

Question 6:
Is there an extracting program (for gui (thunar)) that will add "Extract here" to the right click menu? (when right clicking a compressed file).

Squeeze should do that.

Last edited by Statix (2009-02-09 22:39:47)

Madly in love with Arch64, Openbox, DotA, and of course... penguins!
Happy to help if you're not a Help Vampire. Use your wonderful resources like ArchWiki, Google, and our wonderful search page.

#3 2009-02-09 22:44:19

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Statix wrote:

Question 6:

Squeeze should do that.

XArchiver is another program that will do it...and it also doesn't have any Xfce dependencies like Thunar etc.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#4 2009-02-09 22:53:51

Hrod beraht

To lock you'll need to run xscreensaver.

Or, if you just want to lock and blank your screen without all the bells and whistles, use slock. It's beautifully minimal and has zero options. Just activate it to lock and type in your password and enter to unlock.

Dethredic wrote:

Question 3:

If you're using Openbox as you mentioned, just assign mouse bindings in the Openbox rc.xml file.

Bob

#5 2009-02-09 22:58:49

Dethredic
Website

Ok, I installed both xarchiver and squeeze, but when I right click on a compressed folder, there is just "open with", no extract here.

Question 7:
I have just decided that I l like nautilus better than thunar. I installed nautilus, but when I run it with the command: "nautilus" it opens a small window, with none of the decorations / options that I like. It also changes my desktop background...
nvm

Last edited by Dethredic (2009-02-10 00:39:36)

#6 2009-02-09 23:02:39

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Dethredic wrote:

Ok, I installed both xarchiver and squeeze, but when I right click on a compressed folder, there is just "open with", no extract here.

Question 7:

you will have to set the gtk theme to be able to see the decorations and such. You might also want to try out PCManFM -- its much smaller and faster and none of the Gnome dependencies -- Isn't that the primary reason for people using Openbox wink

Question 8:
Does Java work for x86_64? I followed the instructions on the wiki but it doesn't work. If it doesn't that is a real turn off...

I had Java working for a 64 bit for a friend's machine...Are you sure you followed the wiki to the t?

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#7 2009-02-09 23:54:28

ninjaprawn

1/ U shouldnt need to download and install sound drivers! alsa looks after everything! check the wiki for alsa config!
2/xcompmgr is a program that runs ontop of your wm (openbox), it gives basic composite effects, like shadows & fading, if u want transparency, use transset. compiz-fusion is a wm like openbox, so cant be run similtaneously!
3/ dont no the answer, i only have a 7button mouse!
4/ http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=63607
5/ dont have 64bit, only have an old celeron! lol
6/ firstly, your using openbox, so best of to use pcmanfm! certain file types have "extract here" in the right-click menu, .zip & .rar dont tho! there is no easy way to put file types in the right click menu, best bet, use the previously named programs, or better still, use command line n set some nice aliases!
7/ simple solution, use pcmanfm! does the same job, but better, faster & cleaner! (MY OPINION!)
8/ same answer as q5

2007 - Started using Arch Linux as my only/main OS
- Samsung Series 3, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz - 8Gb DDR3 ram - 700Gb HDD
On board intel Graphics & Sound

#8 2009-02-09 23:58:30

eerok

Dethredic wrote:

Question 7:

A lot of baggage comes with nautilus.  You're better off with something lighter like thunar in openbox.  That's what I've always used, and the archiver plugin mostly works okay.  (I've had problems viewing the contents of .iso files, but otherwise it works.)

I used to use rox-filer back in my e16 days, and some people like that.

noobus in perpetuus

#9 2009-02-10 00:15:26

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Question 1:
I followed the beginner install wiki. There was instructions on settup up alsa, but when it told me to do the command to get the test noise I didn't hear anything. I assume this means that it didn't work. I do have onboard sound, but I also have a Creative Sound Blaster XtremeGamer. I would like to use that. I downloaded the driver from their site, but I have yet to install it. Do I need alsa for it to work?

The X-Fi cards aren't yet fully supported. In order to use one with Alsa, you'll need the beta drivers available in the AUR: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=21313

Look up "AUR" in the wiki to learn how to build and install packages from the AUR.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#10 2009-02-10 00:24:15

Dethredic
Website

Ok, I installed pcmanfm and tried to run it, but it says I need FAM/gamin

so I just add one of those to my startup daemons?

EDIT: Made some progress.

Java is working

I installed the driver from the AUR and still no sound. Added the module to rc.conf.

I installed btnx. Of the buttons I wanted customized; I got 1 button doing what i want, one doing it's original task, and two not doing anything.

Last edited by Dethredic (2009-02-10 00:46:51)

#11 2009-02-10 00:43:50

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Dethredic wrote:

yes. install it by

pacman -S fam

Forum Rules

#12 2009-02-10 00:50:17

Dethredic
Website

Also, when I middle click in firefox (not a link) I do not get the thing that lets me scroll up and down. it says "the url is not valid and can't be loaded".
When I middle click on a link it does open in a new tab like I want.
When I middle click a tab it does not close.

#13 2009-02-10 01:00:03

BoppreH

The middle click is used to paste selected content, that's why firefox tries to open it as URL. But I do miss the scroll option too, and I will look for it.

And about closing the tab:

Go to "about:config" and activate this line:

middlemouse.contentLoadURL

#14 2009-02-10 01:02:47

Dethredic
Website

BAM I GOT SOUND WORKING.

One thing, it only comes out my left and right speaker and I have 5.1 speakers. Can I make the sound play out of all of them?

I would rather go right click paste. As I am an avid web browser really need middleclick on a webpage to give em the scroll thing. Can i enable that?

Last edited by Dethredic (2009-02-10 01:03:52)

#15 2009-02-10 01:05:47

skottish
Forum Fellow

Dethredic wrote:

fam starts as a daemon, gamin does not. I use gamin. Just install it and it should work.

#16 2009-02-10 01:14:33

blazercist

eerok wrote:
Dethredic wrote:

Question 7:

A lot of baggage comes with nautilus.  You're better off with something lighter like thunar in openbox.  That's what I've always used, and the archiver plugin mostly works okay.  (I've had problems viewing the contents of .iso files, but otherwise it works.)

I used to use rox-filer back in my e16 days, and some people like that.

The command you seek is

nautilus --no-desktop

This will prevent nautilus from drawing over your desktop.

The options/decorations you are referring to are??? Browser windows???  Nautilus > Edit > Preferences > Behavior > Check "Always open in browser windows"

As far as decorations per se, Perhaps you mean gtk theme?  Install lxappearance with pacman and install some themes and engines you can find that stuff on the wiki.

Also, if you chose to move to Compiz for a WM, there is a right click menu, although its not standard and takes a slight tweak to make it work.  Its called compiz-deskmenu and there is a thread somewhere here in bbs that described how to make it work properly.  Its also easier to edit than the openbox menu because there is no need to learn XML.

Last edited by blazercist (2009-02-10 01:17:10)

#17 2009-02-10 01:14:59

BoppreH

skottish wrote:
Dethredic wrote:

fam starts as a daemon, gamin does not. I use gamin. Just install it and it should work.

I have just installed it this way and worked, but it had to be with gamin. PCManFM didn't accept fam.

Last edited by BoppreH (2009-02-10 01:23:07)

#18 2009-02-10 01:19:06

Dethredic
Website

skottish wrote:
Dethredic wrote:

Ok thanks, works fine now. Is there a way to choose what drives it shows on the left?

Also thanks with the nautilus thing. Exactly what I wanted. I will give the other file manages a go, but this will be a nice backup.

Last edited by Dethredic (2009-02-10 01:32:03)

#19 2009-02-10 01:30:00

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

BoppreH wrote:
skottish wrote:
Dethredic wrote:

I have just installed it this way and worked, but it had to be with gamin. PCManFM didn't accept fam.

That might be somthing on your machine. fam works just fine with pcmanfm on my machine.

Forum Rules

#20 2009-02-10 01:32:41

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Dethredic wrote:

EDIT: another thing. I did a sudo visudo and added: phil ALL=(ALL) ALL so I can run commands without needing to type my password. Unfortunately this did now work, and I am still prompted for my password. What did I do wrong?

The format is

phil ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

But this is a BAD idea. That is not what sudo is for. You need to keep things password protected or anyone can screw up your system, knowingly or unknowingly

Forum Rules

#21 2009-02-10 01:36:00

Dethredic
Website

Ok, maybe I didn't get java going 100% On facebook whenever I try to do something like "show more comments" or use the messenger I get this error:
Transport error (#1001) while retrieving data from endpoint `/ajax/inline_comments.php?_ecdc=false': A network error occurred. Check that you are connected to the internet.

But this is a BAD idea. That is not what sudo is for. You need to keep things password protected or anyone can screw up your system, knowingly or unknowingly

Just got it before you. And I am willing to take that chance. If someone goes into my room we have the security breach wink

Last edited by Dethredic (2009-02-10 01:37:31)

#22 2009-02-10 01:50:56

Dethredic
Website

Also, I tried installing the acroread thing, but it says it is not available for x86_64

#23 2009-02-10 03:11:52

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Dethredic wrote:

Ok, maybe I didn't get java going 100% On facebook whenever I try to do something like "show more comments" or use the messenger I get this error:
Transport error (#1001) while retrieving data from endpoint `/ajax/inline_comments.php?_ecdc=false': A network error occurred. Check that you are connected to the internet.

That is a network error not related to Java whatsoever.

and Adobe hasn't been the beacon of 64 bit development. But if you are not averse to using any other program to read pdfs, you can give xpdf or evince or okular a whirl. xpdf serves my needs well.

Last edited by Inxsible (2009-02-10 03:14:52)

Forum Rules

#24 2009-02-10 03:20:04

Dethredic
Website

Good to know. Another thing:
I installed skype, and I have my creative driver installed.
In skype people can't hear me but I can hear them. Everything in alsamixer is at 71 (didn't see a mic boost).

Any ideas?

#25 2009-02-10 03:24:21

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

For the Firefox middle-click scrolling, see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=951980

I agree with Inxsible btw, you really shouldn't use sudo that way. Not only does it make it very easy to ruin your system (every single app that requests sudo will be granted sudo without your knowing it), you will also acquire very bad habits (or fail to unlearn your bad "admin account" habits from windows).

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

Board footer