You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-11 01:21:53

lmcmehil

Black screen on startup

Did a pacman -Syu and then rebooted after some programs did not work. When rebooting I get
************FILESYSTEM CHECK FAILED****************
* Please repair manually and reboot. Note that the root        *
* file system is currently mounted read-only. To remount      *
* it read-write: mount -n -o remount,rw /                            *
* When you exit the maintenance shell the will                     *
* reboot automatically.                                                      *
checked drives with fsck and get
/dev/sda3 : Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read while reading block 1545
/dev/sda3 : Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read reading journal superblock
/dev/sda3 : Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read while checking ext3 journal for /dev/sda3
sda is my second drive for backups and documents/music/photos
sdb is the root/boot/swap drive
I commented out /dev/sda3 in fstab and arch booted up but got to the last line which is starting kde??(don't know for sure cause it scrolls by so fast) and then I get a black screen with a steady cursor. I cannot ctl+alt+ anything to get to a tty or out of that screen. So I cannot check any logs or files and I don't know what to do now when the only thing I have been able to do is restart the computer and the same thing happens all over.
I guess I need to get a bootable cd (live cd) to get arch up and try to get a terminal to find problems. But reading the instructions for live cd it appears that I have to be in arch first. I am borrowing a windows computer to get on the internet and research.  How can I burn a live arch cd in a windows system?

Last edited by lmcmehil (2009-02-12 02:09:26)

#2 2009-02-12 13:11:44

Preacher

Re: Black screen on startup

Easy way to burn ArchLinux on CD as follows

Download Arch from here http://www.archlinux.org/download/
Burn to CD

You can the use the ArchLinux CD to boot into your system using instructions from here
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Off … tall_Guide

If on the other hand you are trying to repair your HDD, then I suggest using the SysRescueDisc from here
http://www.sysresccd.org/

To be a preacher requires two apparently contradictory qualities: confidence and humility.

#3 2009-02-12 22:27:41

Trevorofmolino

Downloaded arch to a cd and restarted with the cd. I do not need to reinstall arch.I just need to inspect my log files and fix what went wrong (probably with kde). But I cannot find how to get to my installed files instead of the cd's files. I tried mount /dev/sda3 and I get there is no such file or directory. sda3 is where most of my files are sda1 is the boot.i am probably missing a step or else I am way off base?

#4 2009-02-12 22:34:09

toad
Website

double post - please don't do that.

fstab? Even better, fsck.extX/dev/sda3 for starters.

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

Board footer