You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-12 14:55:33

yossarianuk

Why is vi (vim) so bad in Arch linux ? "nothing in register.."

Hi.

I use various linux distros - gentoo, suse, ubuntu, fedora and (obviously) arch

I am slowly coming to the decision that Arch is the distro for me and have installed it on my work desktop also.

However there is one major issue I am having with Arch linux.

vim seems pretty much completely unusable in arch linux, not in the way that it is in Debian (i.e the strange arrow keys until you apt-get install vim-enchanced)

Its much worse, I am not able to paste into vim at all ... When pressing middle button to paste the buffer is says - nothing in register.

Also (annoyingly) I am unable to right click and paste into konsole (only when using vim) - instead it gives the message ' (insert) VISUAL '

This occurs from KDE4 and LXDE so it unlikely  to be the desktop settings.

I do not have vi pasting issues with any other distro.

Can anyone help me paste ?

Regards

#2 2009-02-12 15:13:47

archlinuxsagi

Re: Why is vi (vim) so bad in Arch linux ? "nothing in register.."

yossarianuk wrote:

vim seems pretty much completely unusable in arch linux, not in the way that it is in Debian (i.e the strange arrow keys until you apt-get install vim-enchanced)

Regards

unusable? this is the first time i heard that in Arch.. Anyway I am using vi. And I don't see any problem with it.
To paste from the mouse, press shift and center click.

#3 2009-02-12 15:16:34

userlander

You can turn off that visual function in your /etc/vimrc. look for where it says set mouse=a and change it to set mouse-=a.

I think everyone hates that behavior -- I know I do. It should be disabled by default, imo.

#4 2009-02-12 15:17:17

moljac024

archlinuxsagi wrote:
yossarianuk wrote:

Regards

unusable? this is the first time i heard that in Arch.. Anyway I am using vi. And I don't see any problem with it.
To paste from the mouse, press shift and center click.

or shift+insert - I love that one

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#5 2009-02-12 16:20:29

yossarianuk

thanks for the responses.

I meant unusable in the sense I couldn't (easily paste)

I shall look at the

/etc/vimrc. look file

thanks everybody, this forum is seems to be really good at getting good responses.

#6 2009-02-12 17:19:19

yossarianuk

I've tried changing the line to read mouse-=a as mentioned, but am still unable to paste with the mouse..

Do i need to re-login ?

cheers

#7 2009-02-12 17:41:53

skottish
Forum Fellow

yossarianuk wrote:

I've tried changing the line to read mouse-=a as mentioned, but am still unable to paste with the mouse..

Do i need to re-login ?

cheers

You shouldn't have to. Vim's config file gets read on start up.

This is a strange problem that you're having. Copying works like it should here, and it always has, even before I started using my own vimrc file. Out of curiosity, are you starting up with 'vi' or 'vim'?

#8 2009-02-12 18:04:45

test1000

You can turn off that visual function in your /etc/vimrc. look for where it says set mouse=a and change it to set mouse-=a.

hah! thanks. iv'e actually switched from vim as default editor to kwrite but i still use it sometimes so thanks..

KISS = "It can scarcely be denied that the supreme goal of all theory is to make the irreducible basic elements as simple and as few as possible without having to surrender the adequate representation of a single datum of experience." - Albert Einstein

#9 2009-04-20 02:58:45

timo

I'm having this problem too. PuTTY WinXP, logging into Arch Linux. I used to be able to use right-click to paste from the Windows clipboard (the scroll wheel uses the wrong clipboard) but now it just changes me to (insert) VISUAL.

I put

set mouse-=a

in /etc/vimrc, but it didn't work; perhaps because I need to logout and login. But typing that incantation from within the editor works fine.

However, I would beg to differ that "In many terminal emulators the mouse works just fine, thus enable it". Should I upgrade PuTTY? (currently 0.53b)

#10 2009-04-20 06:30:59

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

i have the following in my vimrc

set mouse=v           "disable goofy mousing

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#11 2009-04-20 11:28:46

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#12 2009-04-20 17:49:19

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

wewt!

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#13 2009-04-20 17:54:08

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

[stijn@hermes ~]$ cat .virc
set mouse=v
colorscheme wombat

^^ What I have in my ~/.virc.

Even if you're the only user it's best to keep your changes in ~/.vi{,m}rc imho - that way upgrades don't force you to fiddle with merging old and new system configuration files.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#14 2009-04-21 07:00:04

robmaloy

shift+insert to the rescue  (you will put your hands on the keyboard anyways.)

☃ Snowman ☃

Board footer