You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-13 02:02:33

naguz

xorg problem (blank screen) and kb layout issues.

I am doing a fresh install of Arch on my laptop atm. Too much testing and tweaking of too much makes it easier than tidying. Or so i thought.

I have only installed the base-things, set up locale and keymap, and installed wireless_tools and X11.

Keyboard layout issue:
I have my keymap correctly set to "no" in rc.conf, and the locale set to "nb_NO.UTF-8"
It worked perfectly
However, after plugging in, and unplugging, an external keyboard, the keyboard layout is acting up. It IS still the norwegian keyboard layout (sort of), because everything like &%$ etc. are placed like in the norwegian keyboard layout. The only thing not working, are the special characters æø and å. They print ' } and something else.
The exact same issue appeared on my other computer, and i had to delete and reselct norwegian keyboard layout in the gnome keyboard control panel before it was fixed.
My laptop does not have gnome, I barely installed X11. And the problem are there in the console, before even starting X. I really do not understand why olugging in&out a keyboard should make my kb layout go haywire. Any help is really appreciated

X11 issue:
X11 was not easy setting up last time either. But now it well.. just sucks.
"startx" with no xorg.conf file, start x with no problems, except for the mouse not working. (Nor æ, ø or å)'
Exiting it, however, just leaves me with a blank screen. switching tty's have no effect. I can run "startx" again, but there is no way I can return to the command line. The screen is just blank. The issue is the same with an xorg.conf created by Xorg -configure, and then set up with nvidia-xconfig.
If i try to run the xorg.conf file Xorg -configure gives me by running X -config /path/to/file as asked, the X-cursor marker is visible for a split second, then the screen goes blank. A worse result than "startx" in other words.

I am dragging myself to bed now, hope anyone has any ideas. I will try to post the Xorg.0.log or whatever it is called tomorrow. Kind of difficult doing it from my laptop now, as you can imagine...

*Yawn*
Sorry if what i have written is completely un-understandable. tongue

Thinking of it now, I'm not 100% sure the keyboard layout did work. Maybe I just hadn't tested it. But it is usually the first thing I doand i DO think I did it now, so I am 99% sure.

#2 2009-02-14 00:56:34

naguz

Re: xorg problem (blank screen) and kb layout issues.

So, a little update.
I actually forgot to install the synaptics driver. So no the mouse works. Still some problems, though

1: I can still not switch tty's after launching x. It seems like this problem is only occuring when X uses the nvidia driver. Any help on this?
Even though the screen goes blank, the system is till responding. switching to tty1 and issuing "reboot" reboots the system.

2: Enlightenment text is unreadable, because it is so tiny.
I tried running enlightenment (e-svn) by adding exec enlightenment_start in my .xinitrc-file. It launches fine, but it is impossible to see any text at all, because it is so small. I tried increasing the font in the settings menu, but it didn't work. Also tried dpi scaling, but the text still did not scale. Not sure if it really is text, it is so squashed together and tiny. Could be error-characters (like those who displays instead of unknown chars)

I run a pretty minimal install right now (just about base, nvidia-driver, X11 and e-svn to be exact), so maybe there are some fonts or something missing?

3: Still not possible to write Æ, Ø or Å. Can't think of any reason why they would dissapear after plugging and unplugging a keyboard. I suspected the x-hotplugging thingy fiorst, but that shouldn't mess thing up in my console before starting X? and all the other chars from the norwegian layout are  working fine, except the §-key

Board footer