You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-13 05:58:33

OneEyedPimp

[SOLVED]Big update broke some stuff

Hello All,

I recently did a big update, 245ish things along with the kernel. When I rebooted, of course X was broken. When I tried to run X by startx this came up:

X: No screens found

I then tried to regenerate a config file t try to diagnose the problem and I get this problem:

(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@1:0:1) found

Backtrace: 

_some stuff_

Caught signal 11. server aborting.

I noticed that there was a chunk of warnings when it booted, but I dont remember how to look up them so that I can report them. I will look that up so that I can let you guys know.

What do you think the problem could be with X?

Last edited by OneEyedPimp (2009-03-07 06:32:52)

#2 2009-02-13 12:04:05

pyther
Website

Re: [SOLVED]Big update broke some stuff

How did you try to regenerate config? Also do there was probably a lot more than just "X: No screens found"

It seems as if you're lazy and haven't updated in a few months. I'm gonna guess that you updated xorg. Xorg has hotplugging support now. Also, the rgbpath in xorg.conf is no longer supported. Read the post install messages, always, but especially after a big update!!!

If I'm wrong, I'm sorry, but I doubt that I am.

Website - Blog - arch-home
Arch User since March 2005

#3 2009-02-13 13:37:13

windtalker

For X it's probably "rm /usr/lib/klibc/include/asm" as root.

You may have some problems with hal and policykit as well.

#4 2009-02-13 17:04:41

jacko

but I dont remember how to look up them so that I can report them.

you paste your logs.

#5 2009-02-13 18:33:09

brisbin33
Website

windtalker wrote:

it's probably "rm /usr/lib/klibc/include/asm" as root.

i think if that we're the solution, the problem would've been a whole buncha klibc false file conflicts that would've prevented the update to begin with.  i think pyther's on the right track, you should look up all the forum/wiki info on the xorg update and try those fixes.

#6 2009-02-13 21:23:03

pyther
Website

@brisbin33 you are right

@windtalker did you even bother to read the problem? Plus what does klibc have to do with X? Please tell me!

#7 2009-02-13 21:27:18

skottish
Forum Fellow

pyther,

I'm so sorry. I messed up badly. I sent you an e-mail. You can call me a stupid-crackhead if you want.

#8 2009-02-14 17:23:12

windtalker

@windtalker did you even bother to read the problem?

Yes I did.
Did you?

I recently did a big update, 245ish things along with the kernel.

Seems to me that's a lotta updates.
What do you think?

Plus what does klibc have to do with X? Please tell me!

Sorry, but it was my understanding that without the proper libraries or improper libraries a DE won't start in X.

When I tried to run X by startx this came up:

Code:

X: No screens found

Curiously enough, I had that exact same message until I did: "rm /usr/lib/klibc/include/asm" as root.

So you tell me, what does klibc have to do with X?
In the event the OP doesn't even have klibc, tell me, what harm was done?

As for telling people to rtfm for a reply,, been there done that on both sides of the coin,,,,, and I Admin my own Linux forum btw where we at least give someone a link in the event they DID rtfm but happened to use the wrong search phrase or overlooked the appropriate post.
If I'm to be chastised for attempting to offer people a possible answer to their query, there are other forums and distro's.
Been there done that also so it's no big deal,,, Linux is Linux.
Courtesy goes a long way no matter where one is and not everyone is a search guru in any event.

@ the OP, hope you get things fixed, next time, don't wait so long to update, read the forum before you do update to watch for possible probs as well as the home page.

#9 2009-02-14 22:33:36

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Somewhat off topic:
klibc has nothing to do with X. It's only used for early userspace. (read initial ramdisk and so on)

Back to the main problem:
First, take care of _all_ *.pacnew files on the system, and then try to mv your xorg.conf, and startx without one at all. You might want to try to start some simple wm, like twm, instead of your usual DE just in case. (if you use a DE)

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#10 2009-02-14 22:56:52

pyther
Website

windtalker wrote:

Sorry, but it was my understanding that without the proper libraries or improper libraries a DE won't start in X.

Yes this is true, but klibc has nothing to do with X, as Mr. Elendig said it has to do with the early user space. For more information see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klibc

windtalker wrote:

Curiously enough, I had that exact same message until I did: "rm /usr/lib/klibc/include/asm" as root.

So you tell me, what does klibc have to do with X?
In the event the OP doesn't even have klibc, tell me, what harm was done?

Well I can tell you that didn't fix your problem with X. As a matter of fact you probably have the directory right now and if you don't, you need to reinstall klibc (pacman -Ql klibc). The only thing that may have fixed for you was a file conflict with pacman. Then you would have been able to update your system. If this was the case, removing /usr/lib/klibc/asm did not fix your problem, updating X fixed your problem!

If the OP doesn't have klibc then he/she gets no support as klibc is a package in the base group. It is expected the base group is installed on all systems. Regardless, if the op did not have klibc installed, he/she probably wouldn't have been able to boot his/her machine.

windtalker wrote:

If I'm to be chastised for attempting to offer people a possible answer to their query, there are other forums and distro's.

You are being chastised because you did not give a possible answer. If you suggested a possible/reasonable answer I would have had no problem. If you don't these forums or the distro, leave no one is stopping you.

Last edited by pyther (2009-02-14 23:01:40)

#11 2009-02-16 05:53:29

OneEyedPimp

Yes, I believe that xorg was updated. I am sorry that I am a bit late in responding, but I have been busy lately. Thank you for your responses. I know this is going to sound really newbie, but what do I need to do with the *.pacnew files? I am going to go try starting my x without a xorg.conf. What log file has the startup logs? Thank you so much!

EDIT:

Just tried to run it without xorg.conf, with no avail.

Here is the error:

(EE)Unable to locate/open config file
      New driver is "ati"
(==)Ysubg defaykt built-in configuration.
(EE)Failed to load module "ati" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE)Failed to load module "fbdev"
(EE)VESA(0): No valid modes
(EE)Screen(s) found, but none have a usable config

It looks like I have some driver issues. I am going to attempt to reinstall the fglxr driver and see if that helps at all. Any thing else pop out among you guys? Thank you again!

Last edited by OneEyedPimp (2009-02-16 06:08:46)

#12 2009-02-16 08:42:33

el_zoona
Website

OneEyedPimp wrote:

I know this is going to sound really newbie, but what do I need to do with the *.pacnew files? I am going to go try starting my x without a xorg.conf.

In most cases *almost* nothing, but in order to be safe you should check them before deleting. A great way to cheack them is using Vimdiff (A really great tool to check for, well...you know, diffs in a set of files).

Example: vimdiff rc.conf rc.conf.pacnew Then check if the new file has some new things, and update your old file.

And, if you like, read this wiki page: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pac … save_Files (Not as a critic, but check wiki always, it's amazingly complete).

OneEyedPimp wrote:

Here is the error:

(EE)Unable to locate/open config file
      New driver is "ati"
(==)Ysubg defaykt built-in configuration.
(EE)Failed to load module "ati" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE)Failed to load module "fbdev"
(EE)VESA(0): No valid modes
(EE)Screen(s) found, but none have a usable config

It looks like I have some driver issues. I am going to attempt to reinstall the fglxr driver and see if that helps at all. Any thing else pop out among you guys? Thank you again!

First, check wich driver you should be using (In my case, my laptop's card it's not supported in Catalyst, so I must go with open drivers). Install it using the wiki instructions (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI), remove all the things that you should remove or modify (also explained in the wiki) and try to load Xorg again.

At first sight (with my almost newbie experience with ATI) I guess that "ati" isn't a valid module, you should try using radeon or radeonhd (free and Catalyst) and rerun Xorg.

Anyway, for the next time: Don't cut the logs when posting here, I mean, your first post ins't descriptive because the (WW) lines are just a warning, the lines you need to read are the (EE) ones, so I can't tell you what the problem was with your original xorg.conf.

Hope this helps, and sorry for my lame english (It looks better on shorter posts :-P).

// Send more Chuck Berry

#13 2009-02-17 04:43:35

OneEyedPimp

Alright, Thank you for your help. When I get two seconds, I will try to fix it. Though, when I run C -configure, to generate a 'normal' xorg.conf, I get the fatal screens error. Could this be something more deep rooted?

#14 2009-02-17 13:21:02

pyther
Website

Do you have xf86-video-vesa, catalyst, or xf86-video-ati installed?
It seems as if it can't find a loadable module...

#15 2009-02-18 04:53:47

OneEyedPimp

Well they were installed, yet now they appear not to be. I am going to try and test it now. I will post back after I test it.

#16 2009-02-18 06:13:56

OneEyedPimp

Alright, got X working. Had to reinstall all of the video drivers, but now it works 100%.

But alas, I have another slight problem. As an unpriveleged user I can no longer mount my usb keys. I get the following error:

Failed to mount "VOLUME"
org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-removable no <-- (action, result).

This is in XFCE and Thunar volumanager is enabled, but it doesnt seem to want to let me mount it. However, it does work as root. Do you think I need to reinstall something?

Thank you again!

#17 2009-02-18 06:16:31

Ranguvar

I think this is your problem....

#18 2009-02-20 15:30:08

el_zoona
Website

OneEyedPimp wrote:

Alright, got X working. Had to reinstall all of the video drivers, but now it works 100%.

;-).

If you also fix the HAL problem mark the topic as [Solved] and you won a lemon pie! :-).

// Send more Chuck Berry

Board footer