You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-13 12:38:47

KimTjik

[MAYBE SOLVED :) ] Awesome - where to find reliable info

I tried Awesome yesterday and does pretty much what I was looking for. The problem for me as a Awesome-n00b is the quite radical changes to code between versions. Even from 3 to 3.1 there are a lot of changes, so many that I haven't been able to figure out how to make the simplest working widget yet... a very humbling experience! smile

I don't even know whether the copy of rc.lua I got (installed yesterday, version 3.1.2-1) is up to date because not even the already included parameter to let for example Gimp be floating work. To begin with:

- either a good reliable link to guides that are up-to-date (the Awesome Wiki is confusing since it more or less expect you to be familiar with the ongoing development and hence understand where to adjust accordingly; other guides end with edits like "sorry this is already outdated because version 3.1 makes 3.0 configurations... bla bla bla...")

- or a simple tip to why this default doesn't work:

floatapps =
{
    -- by class
    ["MPlayer"] = true,
    ["pinentry"] = true,
    ["gimp"] = true,
    -- by instance
    ["mocp"] = true
}

I suppose I have to struggle with the widgets in my future attempts to master Awesome. Otherwise it's one of the most responsive WMs I've tested, combined with a fairly friendly default configuration.

Last edited by KimTjik (2009-02-21 19:13:26)

#2 2009-02-13 12:46:26

Gigamo

Re: [MAYBE SOLVED :) ] Awesome - where to find reliable info

Tried ["Gimp"] with capital letter? Not sure if it matters, but that's how it works here anyway.

About reliable info, well, you'll find alot on the wiki. You could however probably learn the most out of looking at other people's configuration files, look at how they do things, etc.

#3 2009-02-13 12:56:56

capnfabs
Website

I've had similar frustrations to you with the lack of documentation.

Gigamo has a good suggestion. Alternately, you can check out their API reference, but be warned: this only has function references and not full class references. http://awesome.naquadah.org/apidoc/.

Also, your best friend when it comes to awesome will be the Mod4+Ctrl+i (default keys): this will print the currently focussed window's class, role and instance. you can use this to fix your problem big_smile

When I used this keystroke on the GIMP, the issue I discovered is that the class properties for the GIMP (at least in version 2.6) is "Gimp-2.6". Therefore, you can use this in your rc.lua:

floatapps = {
["Gimp-2.6"] = true,
...}

Good luck!

#4 2009-02-13 13:02:57

KimTjik

Thanks a lot. I tried "Gimp", but in a couple of seconds I try "Gimp-2.6".

Mod4+Ctrl+i looks like a awesome idea from developers. Awesome seems to be worth the effort.

#5 2009-02-13 13:38:13

KimTjik

The output is that Class is Gimp. Actually something else must be wrong because if ["Gimp"] = is set to false it fits into squares as is usual in Awesome and it does work with keyboard bindings like Mod4+Shift+j or k. If set to true windows are misplaced but still rigidly locked to their positions and doesn't work with the above keyboard bindings.

Conclusion:
["Gimp"] = true makes it floating, but the floating feature in itself is flawed.

Have you encountered anything similar? Remember this is practically with default settings, and I even tried with pure default files and still the same happens.

Edit: I notice that all windows are set to be in focus at the same time. Hm, wonder how I can fix this? If not all are set to be focused it could well be that it would work as expected.

Last edited by KimTjik (2009-02-13 13:50:02)

#6 2009-02-21 19:22:04

KimTjik

Just an update if anyone would stumble upon this thread.

The easiest way proved to be a switch to awesome-git combined with wiched-git from AUR. Those two packages work very well together and solved my problem with widgets. As it is now I've got a pretty good environment.

Some few things I'm trying to solve:
- eject from thunar (thunar --daemon running) doesn't work and results in errors, but command or button on drive work
- changing cursor theme proved difficult. xsetroot doesn't make it even though I've tried all kinds of variations. To add a line to .gtkrc.mine (to get som gtk applications look better) works but then only when such a gtk applications is in focus

Still, to look for information about Awesome is a awful experience! wink

#7 2009-02-21 19:43:39

anrxc
Website

- eject from thunar (thunar --daemon running) doesn't work and results in errors, but command or button on drive work

How is this related to awesome?

- changing cursor theme proved difficult. xsetroot doesn't make it even though I've tried all kinds of variations.

xcb does not support cursor themes (or some variation of this, is what's floating around the community).

To add a line to .gtkrc.mine (to get som gtk applications look better) works but then only when such a gtk applications is in focus

Only God knows what you are talking about on this one. Though he probably agrees with me that (whatever it is) it has nothing do to with awesome.

Still, to look for information about Awesome is a awful experience!

Awesome has a wiki, a manual page and complete API docs, what else would you want (besides wishing not to read them)?! Everybody else seems to be just fine with these.

You need to install an RTFM interface.

#8 2009-02-21 20:06:58

Nezmer
Website

KimTjik wrote:

changing cursor theme proved difficult. xsetroot doesn't make it even though I've tried all kinds of variations. To add a line to .gtkrc.mine (to get som gtk applications look better) works but then only when such a gtk applications is in focus

I wonder how you start your sessions . I have

xsetroot -cursor_name left_ptr

in ~/.xinitrc and It works for me.

English is not my native language .

#9 2009-02-21 23:27:19

KimTjik

@ anrxc

Maybe you missed that it was a joke about awful? Think about the names of the libraries used in Awesome (sometimes it boring to add a smiley to every other joke). Nevertheless Awesome is a challenge since you've got a information which concern different versions of Awesome, something that isn't obvious for a new user of Awesome. No need to be defensive, because Awesome is awesome and I suppose the main focus at the moment is its constantly progressing, and hence changing, code.

That said let me explain some of my issues (and remember that I like Awesome so no need to defend it; I'm only interested in constructive suggestions not a debate about pros and cons):

Eject
Awesome doesn't handle auto mounting at all and hence it's not an Awesome issue, and I didn't explicitly say it is, but it's one of those things you'll have to make a choice about. Thunar's volman is one option and since I already have XFCE4 installed I'm content using it instead of adding lvman to the mix.

However I can't get it to play nicely, or it does until I choose to eject through thunar, something that leads to errors like Device to unmount is not in /media/.hal-mtab so it is not mounted by HAL. This has nothing to do with Awesome, but it's a new problem I don't have if starting a XFCE4 session. Simple as that, but I don't really need it to work since I mainly use the keyboard.

Cursor theme
This isn't an Awesome issue as well since Awesome doesn't include any such configuration option. There are several options here; I have used the same line in ~/.xinitrc as suggested by Nezmer (thanks for your suggestion!), another one is to redirect by a index.theme or create a ~/.icons/default directory with the theme of choice. You might be right that it doesn't totally work in an environment as Awesome (I notice that the cursor theme goes back to default as outside of application boarders, and likewise disappear within windows of none GTK applications). I just wanted to test it since it's a suggestion in the Awesome wiki. Probably I could get it to work better if a had more knowledge.

A .gtkrc.mine file plus some is a way of getting the icon and/or panel theme of choice for GTK applications (see Awesome wiki). It works as well as a way to change fonts or cursor theme, but it's isolated to GTK applications.

I hope the too wordy reply cleared any cause for misunderstanding.

Cheers!

#10 2009-02-21 23:47:10

anrxc
Website

Exuse me for not understanding correctly, I wanted to make clear for future readers that awesome is not so much badly documented cr*p, and if you/they put their minds to it and read what's already available it's easy to configure.

So you know, awesome reached kind of a milestone where there will be no more huge changes, just minor fixes/changes. More about that on the users mailing list.

You need to install an RTFM interface.

#11 2009-02-21 23:47:54

Gigamo

#12 2009-02-22 05:56:55

cwjiof

KimTjik wrote:

Thanks a lot. I tried "Gimp", but in a couple of seconds I try "Gimp-2.6"...

You'd like to use just "gimp" in the floatapps section. To move the floating window, just hold down the Mod4, and drag the window with your mouse.

capnfabs wrote:

...your best friend when it comes to awesome will be the Mod4+Ctrl+i (default keys): this will print the currently focussed window's class, role and instance...

But print where? roll

I used the key Mod4+Ctrl+i, but nothing happened. sad I have not seen the client class and instance printed. What's wrong?

Last edited by cwjiof (2009-02-22 06:37:23)

#13 2009-02-22 07:37:38

rkowalick

I just posted this in another awesome thread:

The mod4 key is not, by default, set for the super key. There are a couple of steps you need to take to make sure super, ie the windows key, is set to mod4. Here is what my (part) of my xmodmaprc looks like:

keycode 0x73 = Super_L
keycode 0x74 = Super_R
add Mod4 = Super_L
add Mod4 = Super_R

The 2 keycode lines make the windows keys on my keyboard super_l and r.
The add mod4 lines make the super keys the mod4 key.
Your awesome shortcuts should run fine if you put this code in a text file called .xmodmaprc and put this in your xinit file before you "exec" a window manager:

xmodmap ~/.xmodmaprc

This should make the windows keys mod4 and everything should work nicely.

#14 2009-02-22 09:02:17

KimTjik

cwjiof wrote:

You'd like to use just "gimp" in the floatapps section. To move the floating window, just hold down the Mod4, and drag the window with your mouse.

I don't know why but when using Awesome from community I got it work - and figured that Mod4+drag function - with "Gimp" in rc.lua but in awesome-git it works with "gimp". It could be me being confused and dazed.

capnfabs wrote:

...your best friend when it comes to awesome will be the Mod4+Ctrl+i (default keys): this will print the currently focussed window's class, role and instance...

But print where? roll

I used the key Mod4+Ctrl+i, but nothing happened. sad I have not seen the client class and instance printed. What's wrong?

In Awesome Mod4+Ctrl+i works, but in Awesome-git I don't even see it or an equivalent in the man pages. Otherwise the info should show up by default in the top panel at the same place as run when doing a Mod4+F1. If someone knows the current variant of Mod4+Ctrl+i please enlighten us!

I've got a less than awesome morning... maybe I should sleep a bit more.

Last edited by KimTjik (2009-02-22 09:03:51)

#15 2009-02-22 09:11:20

cwjiof

KimTjik wrote:

In Awesome Mod4+Ctrl+i works, but in Awesome-git I don't even see it or an equivalent in the man pages. Otherwise the info should show up by default in the top panel at the same place as run when doing a Mod4+F1. If someone knows the current variant of Mod4+Ctrl+i please enlighten us!...

I'm using awesome-git. Thank you for notification.

The place where shows text when doing a Mod4+F1, is wibox panel.

Board footer