You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-13 21:46:43

eDio

couple of questions: keyboard repeat delay, connect to ftp, openbox

1. In gnome there is an ability to reduce repeat delay for comfortable (for me) work, or even set it to 0.
But I dont use gnome... kbdrate can't set delay smaller than 250 ms, while I need about 150 ms. What can you suggest?

2. Now I use the latest version of tuxcmd. Really great FM, that is very-very-very similar to totalcmd under win. But to connect to ftp it requires some vfs module. What I need to install and what to configure?

3. As panel for openbox I use bmpanel. It is placed on top. But I like two-panel look (at the top and at the bottom): taskbar, tray and pager are on the top; main menu button (or something to open openbox menu), app launchers, monitoring tools and clock are on the bottom. But AFAIK there is no such panel, that can provide ALL elements that I want on the bottom. So I think, I need some set of applications. I know, Conky - for monitoring. But what to install for simple digital clock (maybe with poped-up calendar on click), and for app launcher? And can I call openbox menu via commandline?

TNX in advance wink

#2 2009-02-13 22:01:01

brisbin33
Website

Re: couple of questions: keyboard repeat delay, connect to ftp, openbox

can't help you on 1 & 2. 

but for 3:

i believe with any panel (bmpanel, i recommend pypanel, or some like tint (AUR)) you could write a simple script to launch it twice using two different config files.  one config to say on top w/ taskbar etc and one to say on bottom w/ clock etc.  might take some up-front work but you'd get what you want in the end, just replace the panel-launcher in autostart.sh with your script. 

#!/bin/bash

pypanel -c /path/to/top.rc &
pypanel -c /path/to/bottom.rc &

exit 0

not sure if -c is the right option for pypanel though, might want to look into that wink

#3 2009-02-13 23:58:33

eDio

Thanks, but I can'y use pypanel because of strange bug for me - clock displayed twice.
By the way, nor pypanel, nor bmpanel don't provide monitoring of cpu and ram load in percents and launchers AFAIK.
I think, I have to dig, what is adesklets... But this will be later, because now I'm too tired to dig (even virtually wink )

And yahoo! I've found solution for keyboard repeat delay:
in xorg.conf under keyboard section
Option "AutoRepeat" "<delay> <repeat rate>"

So, still need help with ftp and understanding what is vfs.

#4 2009-02-14 12:16:29

pyther
Website

You need a small panel for the bottom that will have your launchers. For this panel I'd probably set a width of like 300-400px however I don't think bmpanel supports this. You might want to look at fbpanel. Then you can use conky to display the other information including the time (ex. ${time %H:%M:%S} ).

Website - Blog - arch-home
Arch User since March 2005

Board footer