You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-14 12:30:22

chochem
Website

X server fails on fresh install [solved]

I recently used the new Arch install image (RC2) to reinstall Arch on my laptop, partly to use ext4 on root, partly because the previous install had become unwieldy and a bit of a mess. I backed up some important configuration files in order to ease them back into the install as the install-configure process proceeded. However X and xorg.conf is giving me a headache.

Running X without an xorg.conf file results in 'no screen found' errors. Using my old xorg.conf (with the vesa rather than the radeon device - which I can't seem to get to work despite having install everything ati...) doesn't improve much on things. Starting X as root, using startx manually, the screen switches briefly to the vesa display with the Xorg 'x mouse pointer' only to return to the prompt and giving me the following output:

xauth:  creating new authority file /root/.serverauth.13167

X.Org X Server 1.5.3
Release Date: 5 November 2008
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.27-ARCH i686 
Current Operating System: Linux BENWAY 2.6.28-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Feb 8 10:13:45 UTC 2009 i686
Build Date: 17 December 2008  08:20:05PM

Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
    to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
    (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
    (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sat Feb 14 18:00:00 2009
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/swrast_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/swrast_dri.so: file too short)
(EE) GLX: could not load software renderer
The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
> Warning:          Type "ONE_LEVEL" has 1 levels, but <RALT> has 2 symbols
>                   Ignoring extra symbols
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/Type1, removing from list!
(EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed

waiting for X server to shut down error setting MTRR (base = 0xd0000000, size = 0x08000000, type = 1) Invalid argument (22)

Bugger, forgot to copy my xorg.conf but it only defines two devices Mouse1 and Keyboard1 which are pretty vanilla and set to be Core-thingamajigs each of them.... I believe that the auto-detection feature introduced in Xorg recently is turned off in some setting or another. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by chochem (2009-02-18 12:10:42)

#2 2009-02-15 22:46:36

JesusRifle

Re: X server fails on fresh install [solved]

Seconding this, same problem for me with a fresh install. Is there anyway to fix this?

#3 2009-02-16 08:33:04

chochem
Website

Re: X server fails on fresh install [solved]

Actually, I've managed to jump this hurdle. I did three things more or less simultaneously, so I can't say which did it.

First, I shaved my xorg.conf down to the most basic graphics stuff, i.e. a screen, a monitor, a device and switched the radeon for the VESA device driver. Second, I tried running startx as an ordinary user instead of as root. Finally, I ran startx (at first) without any configuration files, including .xinitrc. This got me a working X server with some xterms. I then proceeded to add bit and pieces gradually, starting with 'exec openbox-session' in .xinitrc.

Hope this helps.

Board footer