You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-14 13:14:22

leeyee

hdaps module carried by kernel26 package never work

Hi, I'm running Arch on thinkpad T400. I found that hdaps.ko module carried by kernel26 package seems never work, I'm currently using tp_smapi package from AUR, it provides hdaps.ko module along with tp_smapi.ko and works flawlessly. I'm wondering why we cannot put the right working module into kernel26 package instead of the useless one?

The tp_smapi package install tp_smapi.ko and hdaps.ko into /lib/modules/2.6.28-ARCH/extra/, while the default hdaps.ko locates at /lib/modules/2.6.28-ARCH/kernel/drivers/hwmon/. The frustrating point is every time I upgrade kernel26 package, I need to manually remove /lib/modules/2.6.28-ARCH/kernel/drivers/hwmon/hdaps.ko and reinstall tp_smapi-0.40-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz so that kernel can found custom installed modules correctly.

I guess there are two ways to handle this. First, just remove hdaps.ko module carried along with kernel package, so that it won't mess up module search path of hdaps.ko; Second, add correctly working thinkpad_ec.ko and hdaps.ko or better tp_smapi too into the package.

Here are all my on opinion, thanks for your attention.

Best regards!

Archlinux x86_64 on Thinkpad T400
Intel X4500MHD / ATI HD3470 Graphics, 2G RAM, 160G HD

#2 2009-02-14 17:14:54

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: hdaps module carried by kernel26 package never work

You need to raise this with the kernel devs and/or the tp_smapi devs. Our kernel package is built from the upstream source, with as little interference as possible. If we apply patches, we ensure that they have first been submitted upstream, and ideally that they are scheduled for inclusion in a future kernel release.

It's possible that the tp_smapi devs have already submitted their work for consideration by the kernel devs, but either way, it's their issue, not ours. I'd suggest you submit a bug report to the kernel devs, outlining your problems with the existing module, and suggesting its replacment by the tp_smapi version. I would also contact the tp_smapi guys to ask them if they are in contact with the kernel team about this.

#3 2009-02-14 22:11:10

damjan

Re: hdaps module carried by kernel26 package never work

tomk wrote:

It's possible that the tp_smapi devs have already submitted their work for consideration by the kernel devs, but either way, it's their issue, not ours.

I suspect that will not fly smile .. the author  of tp_smapi did submit it to upstream and it was rejected.

This is the hread on LKML http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.dri … .devel/772 , you can see why it was rejected

Board footer