You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-15 13:43:33

blackhole
Website

[SOLVED] USB memory stick doesn't show up as /dev/sdX

Hi there,

I've just installed Arch Linux on my laptop following the Beginner's Guide. So far everything went fine apart from some smaller hiccups, but when I plug in my USB memory stick it doesn't show up as /dev/sdX. However when I boot from the Arch Linux LiveCD and plug it in, it shows up as /dev/sdb1 and I can mount it without any problems.

What's the problem? Do I have to install anything additional to what is mentioned in the Beginner's Guide? I'm not using any GUI btw, there's not even an X-Server installed on my system.

I've read something about hwdetect, but didn't fully understand what it does. Do I need it? Doesn't Arch Linux detect all my hardware out of the box? I thought that's the kernel's job. I'm a bit confused here.

Thanks for all your help in advance,
Blackhole

Last edited by blackhole (2009-02-15 21:12:19)

Coming closer and closer to the ultimate goal: replacing boring old Windows XP desktop with shiny new Arch KDE 4 desktop. ^^
Already registered? Your vote counts!

#2 2009-02-15 14:30:12

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] USB memory stick doesn't show up as /dev/sdX

Check the output of dmesg .... without further details it's hard to help.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#3 2009-02-15 14:52:46

Ranguvar

Also, try running 'tail -f /var/log/messages' and then plugging in your USB drive. Post what it says.

#4 2009-02-15 15:43:45

blackhole
Website

Erm, yeah... well, I checked /var/log/messages before and wasn't expecting a lot when I tried it again to post more information for you guys. And guess what, I plugged in my memory stick and this time there where a lot of messages coming up. I did a quick "fdisk -l" and there was my /dev/sdb1.
Really weird. I don't know what happened, but it's working now. I wonder how long, though...

Talking about my other question. Do I need that hwdetect thingy? Who's responsible for detecting my hardware? The Kernel? Do I need anything else apart from that?

Coming closer and closer to the ultimate goal: replacing boring old Windows XP desktop with shiny new Arch KDE 4 desktop. ^^
Already registered? Your vote counts!

Board footer