You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-16 01:11:38

drnkn.munkey

Kernel NTFS driver w/ write support

Hey all,

I am trying to write to a NTFS partition mounted using the kernel NTFS driver built with write support.  I am able to successfully mount the drive and read its contents but whenever I try to write to the drive, I get the error message:

# chmod +w /mnt/data/
chmod: changing permissions of `/mnt/data/': Read-only file system.

Here is my relevant .config stuff.

CONFIG_NTFS_FS=m
# CONFIG_NTFS_DEBUG is not set
CONFIG_NTFS_RW=y

I am mounting the drive using the following options:

# mount /dev/sda5 /mnt/data -t ntfs -w -v
/dev/sda5 on /mnt/data type ntfs (rw)

Hope someone can help me figure this out.  Thanks.

P.S. I really don't want to use Captive or ntfs-3g or any other userspace drivers.

#2 2009-02-16 01:17:55

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Kernel NTFS driver w/ write support

Is there a valid reason why you don't 'want' to use NTFS-3G? Because last time I checked, the kernel driver had experimental write support.

That's right - experimental. Not even close to what you can get with NTFS-3G.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#3 2009-02-16 01:26:59

drnkn.munkey

No reason.  I was just hoping to get the kernel driver working.  But, it looks like I can't.  I just read the kernel info on write support.

This enables the partial, but safe, write support in the NTFS driver.

The only supported operation is overwriting existing files, without changing the file length.  No file or directory creation, deletion or renaming is possible.  Note only non-resident files can be written to so you may find that some very small files (<500 bytes or so) cannot be written to.

Bah.  Sorry for wasting your time.

#4 2009-02-16 01:30:28

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

No problem.... Depending on what piece of software you need, 'EXPERIMENTAL' might mean a range of things when it comes to the kernel wink. Unfortunately, for NTFS it's rather shabby. NTFS-3G needs fuse, but it's easy to set up and quite reliable.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#5 2009-02-17 10:32:53

cerbie

The kernel driver is very good for data recovery, reading reliably from partitions NTFS-3g refuses to mount, IME. With a known healthy NTFS partition, NTFS-3g is superior.

"If the data structure can't be explained on a beer coaster, it's too complex." - Felix von Leitner

Board footer