You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-16 21:39:43

cimnine
Website

EXT3-fs error

Hy

I have a strange problem right now.

I set up a new Arch installation some days ago...
I went away, some hours, and as I came back, nothing worked.
At least, nothing that wasn't loaded in the memory.

So I have a shell now (bash), and cannot start anything.
Everytime I wan't to start something (like init, less, cat, etc.), I get this error message:

[cimnine@anti-1 ~]$ ls
EXT3-fs error (device sda3): ext3_find_entry: reading directory #16321 offset 0
EXT3-fs error (device sda3): ext3_find_entry: reading directory #595681 offset 0
-bash: ls: command not found

[cimnine@anti-1 ~]$ init 6
EXT3-fs error (device sda3): ext3_find_entry: reading directory #16321 offset 0
-bash: /sbin/init: No such file or directory

When I hardreset my PC, the device sda3 doesn't even get recogniced by the BIOS anymore. I have to connect the disk with another SATA-Port.

My PC:
Mainboard: Asus R.O.G. Striker II Formula // BIOS: 0902
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 GO
Harddisk: Samsung HD103UJ

I never came across a similar problem - I have absolutly no glue what I could do.

~Chris

#2 2009-02-16 23:46:17

Ranguvar

Re: EXT3-fs error

You're saying using another SATA port fixes the problem? Well, then check your cables, etc.

#3 2009-02-17 07:24:35

cimnine
Website

Well, using another SATA Port fixes the problem till the next boot. I only have 6 SATA Ports, 4 are left. Which means in other words: Four boot-ups left.

No, changing the port can't be the reason.

Is it possible, that Arch kind of suspends the SATA Controler, and isn't able to reconnect it?
This would explain why my disk is working just after booting, and isn't working anymore when I leaf my PC alone for some hours...

#4 2009-02-17 13:31:56

mcover

Check your dmesg when it happens.

I have an Asus Laptop and I used to have problems connecting a hard-disk to my eSATA port. It was problems with resources and IRQ allocation, but it somehow fixed itself with continuing upgrades (kernel?). Thou recently I had a problem where I was using my hard-disk and then randomly the system tells me that the disk does not exist anymore and after checking dmesg I saw that it was the same problem again (something about reseting the SATA port - sorry don't have log anymore).

If your bios allows it, maybe try to disable unused hardware and free up resources.

Also check /proc/interrupts - when I had the problem the sata controller was sharing its IRQ with too many other devices. Now, it is not the case anymore and everything is working (don't understand who or what fixed it but its working).

I may be wrong, but you just have to rule out every possible source of the error to narrow it down.

#5 2009-02-17 17:57:37

Rehto

mcover wrote:

I have an Asus Laptop and I used to have problems connecting a hard-disk to my eSATA port. It was problems with resources and IRQ allocation, but it somehow fixed itself with continuing upgrades (kernel?). Thou recently I had a problem where I was using my hard-disk and then randomly the system tells me that the disk does not exist anymore and after checking dmesg I saw that it was the same problem again (something about reseting the SATA port - sorry don't have log anymore).

I'm having a problem similar to yours when using an eSATA port to connect my external hdd. When moving files the transfer suddenly stops and I get these messages in dmesg and /var/log/messages

http://pastebin.ca/1340177
http://pastebin.ca/1340183

I'm using x86_64 updated to the latest stable...

#6 2009-02-17 18:09:05

cimnine
Website

I'll try getting dmesg outputs...

What's wondering me is that after the ""crash"" the harddisk doesn't get recognized by the BIOS... I hope this is just a side-effect.

EDIT: After a I tried to update my BIOS nothing's working. Not even the BIOS is starting up. Grrr! I'll have to visit my seller I gues.

Last edited by cimnine (2009-02-17 21:16:00)

#7 2009-02-17 18:30:58

mcover

Rehto wrote:
mcover wrote:

I'm having a problem similar to yours when using an eSATA port to connect my external hdd. When moving files the transfer suddenly stops and I get these messages in dmesg and /var/log/messages

http://pastebin.ca/1340177
http://pastebin.ca/1340183

I'm using x86_64 updated to the latest stable...

Yup, thats exactly what I've been getting as well. However, as mentioned, I haven't had the problem for over a month now (regularly using eSATA).

Just to check my theory, could you look at your /proc/interrupts ? I suppose it is also some bug with ahci - not just the hardware its running on.

#8 2009-02-17 20:22:45

Rehto

Here's the paste of /proc/interrupts:

http://pastebin.ca/1340386

#9 2009-02-18 18:28:58

mcover

Rehto wrote:

Here's the paste of /proc/interrupts:

http://pastebin.ca/1340386

Well, you do also have the ahci kernel-mod. I don't see any resource problems though. This leads me to suspect its a problem with ahci itself. If the OP also uses ahci, I could see where the problem is.

Is there confirmation that there is a problem with ahci (possibly when hot-plugging) ?! And I would be quite interested in seeing how to solve this problem for good. I couldn't find anything related when I searched for it.

Board footer