You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-17 06:36:51

greyhat.goon

Building a Linux Box

Well, I'm thinking about building my own linux box.  Building my own computer is something
I've been itching to do for a long time, seems like it would be a good learning experience. 

Here's my question(s).  Has anyone built and installed linux on a shuttle barebones box?
Looks like shuttles come with everything except cpu, memory, harddrive, optical drive.

Here's the specs for the the one I'm looking at on newegg.com http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6856101078
Anyone see any stumbling blocks in this? Realtek ALC888 supported?

General
Brand     Shuttle
Model     SP45H7
Color     Black
CPU Supported
CPU Type     Intel Core 2 Quad / Core 2 Duo / Celeron 400
CPU Socket     Intel Socket T(LGA775)
FSB     1333/1066/800/MHz
Chipset
North Bridge     Intel P45
South Bridge     ICH10
Memory Supported
Memory slot     4 x 240Pin
Memory Type Supported     DDR2 800/667
Max Memory Supported     8GB
Dual Channel Memory Supported     Yes
Expansion Slots
PCI Express 2.0 x16     1
PCI     1
Storage
IDE ATA     1 x ATA 100
Serial ATA     3 x SATAII 300
Audio
Onboard Audio     Realtek ALC888
Channel     8-CH
Communications
Max LAN Speed     10/100/1000Mbps
Extension Bays
3.5" Internal bays     1
3.5" External bays     1
5.25" External bays     1
Power Supply
Power Supply     300W

Last edited by greyhat.goon (2009-02-17 06:42:22)

Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes....Thoreau

#2 2009-02-17 11:25:07

iBertus

Re: Building a Linux Box

I had one of the Shuttle SP35P2 models and it was awesome. The only problem was the lack of ability to use a monster video card (due to size, power and heat). Nowadays, you can get a pretty good single slot card, so I would think it'd be fine.

#3 2009-02-17 13:31:05

pyther
Website

Seems like it'd work pretty much out of the box. What are you going for though? Size? Speed? Low Power Consumption?

I really like my Atom 1.6ghz desktop, it runs very smoothly and uses about 31watts of power! However, it is no speed daemon though, but it is more than usable for everyday tasks (web, chat, word processing, programming (not major compiling though), etc...)

Personally the thing that keeps me away from ever considering a shuttle is the price point. I can't justify spending the extra ~$150-$200 for size.

Also note there is not a lot of room to work with, which will complicate things a bit more. So if size is not a huge factor you might want to consider getting a bigger, roomier case, maybe a microatx case.

Website - Blog - arch-home
Arch User since March 2005

#4 2009-02-17 15:44:51

cjpembo

Just my 2 cents:

Make sure you can add a video card.  And make sure that card is from nVidia.  Intel video drivers are a complicated mess right now; so I'd just avoid that headache.  I havent' used an ATI/AMD card lately; but there is no reason to go that way when you can get an nVidia card that will work.

As for the Realtek ALC888; it looks to be supported.  It's just a case of did the MB maker use the chip as intended; ie are the pin assignments correct.  I'd ask that question on the alsa mailing list.  If you do your homework and meet them halfway, the alsa developers will get it working pretty quickly.

#5 2009-02-17 22:15:28

mvdvarrier

smile Hello cjpembo
If you don't mind try assembling with hardware with best Linux support. That will make costs down and later Linuxing better!
Wish you good luck.
mvdvarrier

mvdvarrier is a Warrior; Born to Expedite!!!

#6 2009-02-18 04:08:25

greyhat.goon

Thanks for all of the info!  To answer pyther, I'm looking for a small, quiet box, with moderate processing power and externel sata ports.  Shuttles can be a little pricey, but supposedly they're quiet (< 28db ) and relatively easy to to build.  I don't really play many games or do much video editing, so almost any video card will do.

Last edited by greyhat.goon (2009-02-18 04:12:27)

Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes....Thoreau

#7 2009-02-18 13:57:29

Daenyth
Forum Fellow

I scratch built my box with a shuttle case and have been extremely happy with it.

#8 2009-02-18 16:06:17

pyther
Website

A shuttle sounds perfect for what you are looking for, if you are willing to spend the few extra bucks. I don't think there are any mini-itx boards with external sata yet, plus you need a bit of skill to put together a mini-itx system, as many of the parts aren't normal (for example the power supplies). At least all abnormal parts with come with the shuttle system.

I love my atom but at times I wish I had tad bit more processing power. I'll probably end up making my atom a server and getting a thinkpad for college.

Website - Blog - arch-home
Arch User since March 2005

#9 2009-02-19 14:00:01

cerbie

Video is going to be a choice of philosophy. nVidia's drivers are still currently the best, but being open, now, it's only a matter of time before the AMD drivers rock. I'd get a one-slot passive nVidia  w/ 256MB (Asus and Gigabyte both make very good ones).

I can't tell if it comes with any or not, but you might want to look at getting eSATA (I-type)->SATA cables, and some method of 12V+5V power out of the case w/o using an expansion slot (an external brick would do). Then, you can do data recovery and such with eSATA, which is quite convenient, if you occasionally do that sort of thing.

For RAM, A-Data, Kingston, Corsair, Crucial, Patriot, G.Skill, and SimpleTech are all great. If you won't OC the RAM, just get the cheapest one of those for the size and speed you need that is rated at 1.8V for a pair.

Unless you go very low power, and change out fans, you will likely not get <28dB. They are not loud, though. If you want to safely do the quiet thing, make sure to get a 45nm C2D, and if you can afford it, go for one faster than you need. You will then have a relative power mizer with underclocking capability (under-volting should give the best results, and lots of C2Ds new and old have been able to OC undervolted smile). If the main cooling fan is too loud, it would be easy to swap. Keeping total system power down as low as you can will keep the PSU fan quieter.

It appears to hard-mount the HDD, as well; so if you don't have large internal storage requirements, consider decoupling a 2.5" drive. I'm personally a fan of 1.5mm or thicker Stretch magic.

I'm fond of WD for hard drives. They have a great selection, including good quiet drives (hard-mounting somewhat defeats it for 3.5"), performance drives, and they do cross-ship RMAs.

Note that some of this may be considered going overboard tongue.

Last edited by cerbie (2009-02-19 14:01:52)

"If the data structure can't be explained on a beer coaster, it's too complex." - Felix von Leitner

Board footer