You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-17 17:37:28

Wishes

Mounting, Suspending (hal?) acpid issues

Hi
after installing on my new Laptop, i got some problems.
I am using KDEmod4, HAL and dbus are installed, but i cannot mount a usb-drive as user. As root from the console, there is no problem, but i want kde4 to mount the thumpdrive if needed...
The problem when i klick the showed thumpdrive in Dolphin:
An error while accessing 'Volume(vfat)', the system responded: org.freedesktop.Hal.DevicePermissionDeniedByPolicy: org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-removeable no <--(action, result)

I already tried the solution from the wiki, but no difference, the problem persists. Is this the PolicyKit-problem (i also tried the ck-session thing, but no difference either)? While if got the same setting at my desktop-PC, and there it works flawless (it was not upgraded for about 2 weeks now).

Next thing is, that i want a specific suspend/hibernate setting (well, i dont think this setting is uncommon). When i press the power-button, the system should hibernate. I am using pm-hibernate which works fine. When i close the Lid, the system should suspend to ram (pm-suspend also works fine), when i open the Lid again, it should resume from the suspended session. I tried to realize this in KDE, but all suspend/hibernate settings were ignored. I also could not suspend/hibernate from the Leave part in Kickoff. But the buttons are there an clickable, also in Systemsettings KDE says that suspend and hibernate should work, but no reaction at all when klicking the buttons.
Having xfce-installed at first, i also tried suspend from it, but from there i also got something about orf.freedesktop.Hal..., i haven't noted it before i removed xfce again (also hal?).

I also tried to realize this with acpid, changing the handler.sh according to the wiki-entries. It works, more of less, but it has some strange behaviour. When i press the Powerbutton, the system hibernates as it should. When i press the button again to resume, resuming works, but after 2 seconds in the resumed session, it hibernates again. After the second hibernating and resuming, it works (but than i am faster with a reboot wink ). Also the sleep-button where i want to pm-suspend does suspend, but waking up again  does not work with this button. If i press the power button to weak up again, the system resums not fully and starts to hibernate...

The user is in power, storage, optical groups. I also tried to put it in the hal and udev groups, but no difference.

#2 2009-02-18 10:54:24

Wishes

Re: Mounting, Suspending (hal?) acpid issues

I found a solution to the first problem in this thread:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=65070&p=1

The suspend/hibernate also changed when i added the wheel-groups a hal-admin. When i press the suspend to ram/disk buttons in KDE, the screens goes black in both cases, but in suspend to ram: the screen is not turned off, and i cannot resume by pressing anything (also not the power button works), the machine remains running, and i can only do a hard-reboot.
in suspend to disk: the screen is off, the machine is also off, but when i press the power-button the session is not resumed, instead the system boots like when i have halted it.

#3 2009-02-18 12:18:36

Wishes

Found a solution for the second problem. I dont know what hal uses for suspending and hibernating, but changing the exec_hal to the wanted suspend/hibernate command works.
I did according to this http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Suspend_to_Disk#Interacting_with_HAL i created the hal skipts and files, an instead of using s2disk i used pm-suspend, then created a second skript for pm-hibernate and used it in the power-mgmt policy file.

#4 2009-02-18 13:21:53

Lilim

Wishes wrote:

in suspend to disk: the screen is off, the machine is also off, but when i press the power-button the session is not resumed, instead the system boots like when i have halted it.

Have you tried this? Thanks to it I'm now able to use pm-hibernate just fine. Still the pm-suspend is making trouble...

#5 2009-02-18 13:33:38

Wishes

Yes, i tried it, but no difference. I think its only for hibernate-script and there was no difference regarding kde-(hal?)suspending.
Atm everything works, execpt the resume on opening the laptop lid again (after suspend to ram by closing it), and i have no idea how to do this... but i am happy atm which what i have archieved so far.

Board footer